SailNet Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am looking to buy an approximately 40 foot sailboat to sail in the med and then store the boat in the Canaries for fall and winter until taking it to the US after hurricane season. Can someone recommend a good country / city to find the best deals? Thanks!

·
Bombay Explorer 44
3,619 Posts
Perceived wisdom is that Greece is a good source for cheap boats. But beware of the totally f*****d up ex charter boats,

·
Registered
5,067 Posts
Id look for the country with the 'best' $US to 'local black market' conversion rates. Such would be the equivalent to the situation in the USA during ~2009-10 wherein the euro's value far exceeded the value of the $US .... and wherein the europeans were actively 'scooping up' high quality vessels in the USA.
The monetary/currency value tables have turned especially with the near and possible impending (expected?) collapse of the € (and possibly the ¥, $CDN, etc.), possibly resulting in some severe 'bargains' due to trending currency/monetary value differences.

A key indicator would be the various hedge fund investments ('bets') in and against various currencies. If you have a 'money manager' that person should be able to point you in the right direction.

·
Registered
846 Posts
The prices all over Mediteranean area are more or less equal for the same boat. There are a lot of charter boats in Greece and Croatia. In my opinion it is best to buy the boat from the country you are planning to start your journey. Mediterranean is not a small sea.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies. An interesting point RichH, ha, not a great thing to hope for but would definitely help me out.

Youre right amwbox. I have been throwing various ideas around in my head and had a mental lapse. Even edited the original post. Thanks for the reminder.

·
Full time cruiser
542 Posts
Most will be excharter boats I would bet but there may be a few non charter available. But try to find a charter company that may be a bit smaller and takes better care of their boats. We have seen a few - a couple of big ones just turn them quickly making semi repairs just to get them out and the charterer had to call for help - we have seen others that take their time and do a good job of keeping boats in great shape. One such company is EuroMarine in Dubrovnik -

But why rush to the Carib - there is so much to see in the Med - we have been here for 3 years and wow - will probably spend at least one more or maybe 2 before returning back.

·
Registered
S2 7.9 Bear Lake, UT
2,317 Posts
Interesting thread, I was told recently that there was good deals on boats in Europe. My price search did not bear this out or at least not enough to rationalize the effort of sailing it across an ocean unless you wanted to start a cruise in a particular place. If you are willing to start a European boat search, I would think it would be a better idea to look for the boat you want and go to that boat, as opposed to going to a country to try to find a boat you want.

·
Registered
5,067 Posts
Thanks for the replies. An interesting point RichH, ha, not a great thing to hope for but would definitely help me out.
In the EU, offered prices are only the 'starting point' in negotiations of sale. Haggling is a developed fine art in the EU and most of the rest of the globe, unlike N. America where most think the offered sale price is 'fixed in stone'.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Originally I had been looking at buying a boat on the East Coast of the US and sailing it to the MED then selling it there. Between VAT and, from what I have read, buyers market I have been reconsidering that idea and doing the exact opposite.

·
Land lubber
1,421 Posts
In the EU, offered prices are only the 'starting point' in negotiations of sale. Haggling is a developed fine art in the EU and most of the rest of the globe, unlike N. America where most think the offered sale price is 'fixed in stone'.
Who in N. America thinks that??? When I decide to buy another I will offer 1/2 of asking price until I find the desperate seller.

·
Full time cruiser
542 Posts
Originally I had been looking at buying a boat on the East Coast of the US and sailing it to the MED then selling it there. Between VAT and, from what I have read, buyers market I have been reconsidering that idea and doing the exact opposite.

You can get past the VAT and some of the other issues- the big issue is USA boats are 110v and the rest of the world is 220v - we have a USA boat in a 220 country and use a transformer - pain in the south end of a north bound mule - if we were to sell the boat over here I would guess we would pay a penalty in the selling price
It can be rewired and if I were to sell it here I would get it rewired and new sockets

1 - 12 of 12 Posts