SailNet Community banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Closet Powerboater
3,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My new boat has a lot of open real-estate at the aft end. Perfect for some folding cockpit chairs of some kind. I've used the cheap folding camp chairs in the past and they are comfortable and pack down fairly small, but the parts are all cheap steel and they rust quickly.

= RUST!

Ideally I am looking for something that folds up as small as possible, is light and easy to take ashore in the dinghy, and is not made of ferrous metals. I'm open to non-marine options like director's chairs, bean bag chairs, hammock/sky chairs etc as well.

What works for you guys?

MedSailor

·
Registered
25,123 Posts
I think it's better to make a cushion to sit on side decks, ledges, etc. Even a back rest cushion to lean against rails, lifelines or winches. Even better, install some sort of seating or ledge out of teak and make removable cushions for them.

Reactions: MedSailor

·
Closet Powerboater
3,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Did you get it yet?
Yeah, but the story will come later. Hopefully soon.
www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/147778-medsailors-new-ride-maybe-i-am-power-boater-after-all-7.html

Minni,

Thanks for the idea. I may be able to fabricate catbird seats, or install something that folds down from existing structures. I also may install storage boxes aft that double as chairs, but that will all take a while and I still will need some folding arrangement for when I go ashore and hang out there.

MedSailor

·
Registered
25,123 Posts
Folding Wooden Director or Celebrity chairs, I think they were called, are what I used to see on all the stink potters back in the day. That's when the stink potters were wooden too.

·
Registered
25,123 Posts
Got the style right. Here is an example. There are teak versions with all brass hardware, but they cost as much as the boat.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Med,

You may want to check out a larger outfitter like REI. They have some great solutions. Depends how cushy you want them. The most padded ones use an inflatable sleeping mat (more durable than you think. I've had one for over 15 years). You can then buy a contraption that turns it into a chair. Granted you're sitting on the deck, but it's very comfortable. it has back support and when you're done using it, it breaks down to next to nothing. Added bonus is you'll have convenient sleeping mats for those nights when you want to stretch out on the deck or those days when you want to float around on something.

Regards,

1 - 12 of 12 Posts