SailNet Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I am new to the site. My two college buddies and I were wanting to take my family's small O Day, dat sailor down to Florida and camp for about a week. The boat is only of 17' length so we are wanting to stay in protected areas and camp on islands.

We have looked at the 10000 Island's park but we fear that the bugs could be unbearable this time of year.

Any suggestions of a destination suitable to our craft would be appreciated!

·
Registered
1,018 Posts

·
Steve&Brandy-SV Wiki Honu
27 Posts
We cruise our trailer sailor all over Florida and the keys are nice, but a long drive and there are lots of other great cruising areas within a closer drive. If you do go to the keys, we did 5 nights in the Key Largo / Islamorada area last December and had a great time. Florida Bay is beautiful for shallow draft boats and the area has many Tiki bars on the water that served as our nightly anchoring targets, row in for dinner, drinks, and great sunsets, easy cruising.

Another favorite area is Tampa Bay / Anna Maria Island / Long Boat Key / Sarasota. Drop in at Ft Desoto Park in Tampa and head south with stops at Egmont Key, Anna Maria Island, Cortez Bridge anchorage (great nightlife), the sandbar at Longboat pass (between Longboat key and Anna Maria) will make you feel like you are in blue Caribbean waters, then down Sarasota bay to downtown Sarasota.

We have a sailing podcast that will cover these areas over the next few weeks. You can find our site in our profile, or search google or iTunes for The Sailing Rode.

-Steve

1 - 6 of 6 Posts