SailNet Community banner

61 - 80 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
21,659 Posts
...About three years ago I met a couple on the Chesapeake who were residents of the state of Kansas. They had purchased their boat in Connecticut. Then they Immediately moved the boat temporarily to a Delaware marina where they registered the boat to avoid paying a sales tax. As I recall, they got some work done on the boat while at the marina, and afterwards left to cruise full-time until they decided to sell the boat.

Likewise, I occasionally see boats in various places, for example New England, Florida, the Bahamas, that have on their transom a city in Delaware as their home port. When I get an opportunity to talk to the owners, they invariably admit they don’t actually live in Delaware. It’s just where they registered the boat. So apparently there’s a way of doing it.........
Where one lives has virtually nothing to do with where they owes Sales or Use tax. The only relevance is that the waiting periods can change for residents. For example, a State may give out of state residents a period of time to leave and avoid their sales tax, but have no grace period for their own residents, even if they truly are going to move it elsewhere.

In your example above, the boat was actually moved to Delaware, so avoidance was likely fully compliant. Once they went on the move (cruising), they would be subject to the grace periods elsewhere, before Use Taxes applied. If one is constantly on the move, I'm sure all these taxes could legitimately be avoided. However, that does require constant movement. Some states assess Use Taxes in as little as 30 days and, like I said, your home state could be immediate.

·
ASA and PSIA Instructor
4,095 Posts

A problem the OP may run into is one I encountered when I lived in Pennsylvania. One day I got a letter from the state Dept of Revenue saying I owed tax on my boat. I can’t recall what kind of tax they called it. I sent a reply letter stating that the boat had never been in Pennsylvania, it was “housed” (my accountant recommended using that term) in Maryland, and it would never be in Pennsylvania as long as I owned the boat. I never heard back from the Department of Revenue.
A similar situation happened to me, I had moved to MN after selling a boat I had owned while a MA resident. When ma dunned me several years after I moved. When I responded the boat had never been in MA, they responded if I could prove that then you would drop the demand which included four years of interest and penalties. Now the boat was kept on a trailer...if I had had out of state marina storage fees, etc. I would have been OK. If oferred to pay the tax amount and they accepted. PA may be back someday asking for proof...

·
Registered
32 Posts
To be clear, I’m not offering anyone tax advice. I don’t have any expertise in that area. I’m just writing about my personal observations/experiences.

·
HANUMAN
2,836 Posts
This is mis-leading at best. Registration has nothing to do with where one owes sales or use tax. Only where the boat is moored. The above is a good description of tax evasion, not tax avoidance. The former is illegal.

Failure to pay, is fined. Intentionally deceiving authorites, by pretending your boat is elsewhere, is criminal.

You can not just register your boat in RI and avoid owing another State's taxes, unless it's actually in RI.

If you move it later, the new State will impose a Use Tax, if they have one. Most do.
Read the original post. The OP is taking off cruising. At no time did he suggest he was permanently leaving the boat in one tax jurisdiction while permanently registering it in another to avoid tax.

My post is hardly mis-leading [sic]. You might not like it, but talk to a yacht broker in RI, it's their shtick. The Newport Boat show advertises the RI no tax law. Do you honestly think they are marketing solely to to RI residents?

Buy a boat in FL, Register it in RI, take off cruising, follow the laws of each jurisdiction regarding vessel registration. Return and decide to store or moor your vessel in one particular jurisdiction and you may, or may not owe sales tax. Or, live in one state and keep the boat in RI do not have to pay sales tax on it.

Just wondering how much time you believe the Trump Princess actually spent in Nassau? It's OK for Kerry and Trump but it's not OK for the working man.

I hope you don't inadvertently remove your own right to vote :)

·
Registered
21,659 Posts
Read the original post. The OP is taking off cruising. At no time did he suggest he was permanently leaving the boat in one tax jurisdiction while permanently registering it in another to avoid tax.

My post is hardly mis-leading [sic]. You might not like it, but talk to a yacht broker in RI, it's their shtick. The Newport Boat show advertises the RI no tax law. Do you honestly think they are marketing solely to to RI residents?

Buy a boat in FL, Register it in RI, take off cruising, follow the laws of each jurisdiction regarding vessel registration. Return and decide to store or moor your vessel in one particular jurisdiction and you may, or may not owe sales tax. Or, live in one state and keep the boat in RI do not have to pay sales tax on it.

Just wondering how much time you believe the Trump Princess actually spent in Nassau? It's OK for Kerry and Trump but it's not OK for the working man.

I hope you don't inadvertently remove your own right to vote :)
Rob, you still seem to be missing the details. Yes, you can keep your boat in RI and not pay Sales or Use Tax, even if you're a resident of another State. That's exactly in keeping with what I've been saying. It only matters where the boat is, not where you live.

Buy a boat in RI, it's therefore in RI. No tax. Take it wherever you like and as long as you don't overstay the Use tax grace period in another state and you're good.

You can not buy a boat in FL and register it in RI and impact your tax liability in any way, unless you leave FL. One is welcome to register in RI, even if they are not there, but that doesn't change tax due elsewhere. If one is going to be on the run all the time and never stay in any jurisidiction long enough to incur Sales or Use Taxes, that works. However, registering in a State with no Sales tax is, therefore, moot.

I'm saying that registering in RI to intentionally make it appear that is where the boat is moored is illegal.

It's not a privileged thing, Kerry did not get away with it.

·
HANUMAN
2,836 Posts
Rob, you still seem to be missing the details. Yes, you can keep your boat in RI and not pay Sales or Use Tax, even if you're a resident of another State. That's exactly in keeping with what I've been saying. It only matters where the boat is, not where you live.

Buy a boat in RI, it's therefore in RI. No tax. Take it wherever you like and as long as you don't overstay the Use tax grace period in another state and you're good.

You can not buy a boat in FL and register it in RI and impact your tax liability in any way, unless you leave FL. One is welcome to register in RI, even if they are not there, but that doesn't change tax due elsewhere. If one is going to be on the run all the time and never stay in any jurisidiction long enough to incur Sales or Use Taxes, that works. However, registering in a State with no Sales tax is, therefore, moot.

I'm saying that registering in RI to intentionally make it appear that is where the boat is moored is illegal.

It's not a privileged thing, Kerry did not get away with it.
Again, the OP is planning on leaving FL for an extended cruise, did you read to original post? He is not asking about "being on the run all the time". If a cruiser stays in one state long enough they may be required to register their vessel in that state and pay any applicable taxes. Your entire post is moot.

Kerry could not "get away with it" unless you consider not committing a crime to begin with as getting away with it. What he did was perfectly legal, he purchased and moored the yacht in RI. Kerry voluntarily wrote a check to MA just to shut people up.

·
Registered
21,659 Posts
Oh boy. Kerry did not volunteer to do anything. He owed taxes to MA, because he overstayed the Use Tax period.

I've clearly read the OP. Leaving FL is fine. Registering in a non taxed State is useless to them. He plans to "the boat somewhere south of the Chesapeake Bay on a more permanent basis."

It will not matter whatsoever where it is registered. It will only matter what the rules are in that location, when they get there.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Voting should be easy and it an obligation as a citizen. If you have a SS card... you can vote. Why can't an SS card be scanned for date of birth at the polling place? I suppose cheats will find a way to game whatever system... but the one we have in NYS is kinda stupid.

How about giving people $25 when they vote?
Sure, carrot and stick, the fines can pay for the rewards.

But there is effectively no cheating issue, that's 99.99% of the tme just a propaganda talking point by those seeking to suppress the poor and minorities from voting.

Pretty sure any systemic cheating scandals in recent decades that have actually had an impact on the results, have actually come from the right. . .

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
I think Dave ( the Op ) has several Challenges.

1st, You have to figure out where you permanently want to keep the boat. Research the Taxes there, and see if you can live with them. Probably the simplest option, maybe not the cheapest.

2nd, You've got to be out of Florida by early March! That's next month! I was thinking that you could document the boat and begin to move it North in March, but I don't think you have time to obtain a documentation, unless they or someone else is willing to expedite for a fee.

3rd, Once you start moving you'd have to research each state's grace period, and leave before you're assessed.

4th, Even if you registered in the two non-tax states that I'm aware of: Delaware or Rhode Island, and paid no Taxes, You would then be faced with moving your boat out wherever you decide to permanently dock her, before being assessed by the state where you're docking it.

5th, That begs the question. If you register in Either Delaware or Rhode Island, and keep moving, could you a year later re-register in Say North Carolina for argument sake, and not have to pay any sales tax.
It looks like North Carolina Has a 3% Sales tax on Boats with a maximum of $1500. But, I might be missing something..here! ( Like an additional personal property or use tax)

6th. Take a Look at North Carolina, If the above is correct, and I make no claim that it is, you could save a bundle.

·
Registered
21,659 Posts
.....Pretty sure any systemic cheating scandals in recent decades that have actually had an impact on the results, have actually come from the right. . .
It's very clearly equal opportunity cheating on both sides, unless one is biased for one party or the other.

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
Sure, carrot and stick, the fines can pay for the rewards.

But there is effectively no cheating issue, that's 99.99% of the tme just a propaganda talking point by those seeking to suppress the poor and minorities from voting.

Pretty sure any systemic cheating scandals in recent decades that have actually had an impact on the results, have actually come from the right. . .
Why mess up a thread?
Lack of control?
Opportunity..manufactured?

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
That derail started here.
I wonder how many realize it took a constitutional amendment to give the federal government the right to assess a permanent income tax. Most can’t even answer basic civics questions, but are still allowed to vote.

I say all ballot boxes should be electronic. You cast your votes and are then presented with 5 basic civics questions. If you don’t get 4 right, your vote doesn’t count.
Yes could just have been ignored but theoretically is not a "partisan politics" issue at all.

More like, do you have enough faith in humanity to believe in a true democracy?

Or do you trust the wealthy elites enough to think a government serving the interests of their oligarchy, ends up serving mankind and the general "public interest" better?

·
Registered
21,659 Posts
That derail started here.
Yes could just have been ignored but theoretically is not a "partisan politics" issue at all.

More like, do you have enough faith in humanity to believe in a true democracy?

Or do you trust the wealthy elites enough to think a government serving the interests of their oligarchy, ends up serving mankind and the general "public interest" better?
Can't be coincidental that you edited off the smiley at the end, which was clearly relevant to the post.

Try rereading the point as the need to insure we have an informed electorate. Being informed is not synonymous with being wealthy, nor elite.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Yes it would be great if high quality public education were universally provided - IOW uniformly - in all school districts regardless of the income / wealth / tax rates of the local residents.

Funding levels being dependent on local property taxes of course makes that impossible, poorer districts need double or triple the funding per student compared to the kids of the wealthy.

But that's not how things work in the U.S.

Wealthier kids get a much higher level of education than the regular folk 99% of the time.

And even then, in the public system at a standard far below many if not most other developed countries. Some of which make privately funded education illegal, so those with the real power have an incentive to care about the public system.

So that we would get an efficient, evidence-based government focused on the actual public interest, rather than perpetuating ever-increasing inequality and concentration of wealth and power into fewer hands every generation.

And it isn't just about education funding levels either, teaching should be a much higher status profession than finance, attract better quality graduates than being a lawyer etc, it should pay just as well as medicine. . .

And yes, the purpose of having very well-educated population across the board, is not economic, but just to have a well-educated, very politically active electorate across all income / wealth levels, very high level playing field, high opportunities for social mobility, not multiple generations of privilege ensured by a wealthy ancestor.

Our failure in providing that should be a national emergency, just like even fulltime working families not making a comfortable living, kids going hungry, the homeless / housing affordability crisis, rising mental health, drug dependence and suicide rates, all in the by-far richest nation on earth.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Kerry could not "get away with it" unless you consider not committing a crime to begin with as getting away with it. What he did was perfectly legal, he purchased and moored the yacht in RI. Kerry voluntarily wrote a check to MA just to shut people up.
I hadn't heard about the Kerry thing until today, but this sounds about right. He bought the boat in RI and kept it in RI. It was only in MA briefly. This looks more like tax avoidance than tax evasion. It wasn't the department of revenue that went after him and caused him to pay the taxes, it was the media that went after him.

John Kerry Takes on Water Over Yacht Controversy
Kerry Agrees to Pay Massachusetts Tax on Yacht Docked in Rhode Island

As a Richy McRichpants politician he has to take appearances into account almost as much as tax law.

Anyway, all this tax talk makes me love Minnesota. No sales tax on private boat sales, boats only need to be registered every three years, and the registration fee for boats over 40' is only $106.60. It is a bit of a bummer that our water is solid five months out of the year...

61 - 80 of 95 Posts