SailNet Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello you all posting to see what has worked best for you all to glue Hypalon dinghies.

:2 boat::captain:

·
11,862 Posts
I’ve used Polymarine
Key is in the prepping

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
3M 5200. I used it to patch a hole the squirrels made on Patches, our dinghy.

·
Registered
7,083 Posts
Jer was the 5200 flexible enough? Our dinghy expands and contracts quite a bit as air temperature and pressure in the tubes cycle from night to day.
Need to glue back handles and a bit of the rub rail. Told it would be best to take it out of the water and placed in a shady place for 24h while glue sets. Know 5200 sets very quickly in the tropics. (Sometimes too quickly 😟). Where are you? Just latitude would suffice. Tx.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
We are in Maryland, the Solomons. Haven't noticed any problems with flexibility.

·
HANUMAN
2,836 Posts
Defender sells a two part product that works well. It's all in the prep and following directions.

I've also used 5200 with good results for re gluing to the transom (not much movement).

The two part is expensive and you don't get much. If she's old and ugly might want to try 5200 :)

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was looking at a product called Clifton Hypalon Adhesive FA 4844 anyone have any experience with this product?

·
Master Mariner
8,253 Posts
As mentioned above, prep is the key and we go to the extent to wear latex gloves so we don't have any contamination on the surfaces to be glued.
We use Epoxy.com Product #303 and have been getting more than 3 years of service before we must reglue on our lifting tangs. These tangs hold the 250# Zodiac with motor, even underway on Caribbean channel crossings in Christmas winds, as well as every single night of the year. That's tough service, so I'm very happy with the 3 years or more. Originally, I had them done professionally and that glue job only lasted a year.

Reactions: chef2sail

·
Registered
48 Posts
The last time I had to patch the dinghy, I used a two-part glue called Tip Top. Made in Germany if I remember. Prep is the most important part. I also attached some chafe protection patches with 5200. I takes days to cure properly but does appear to stick well.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts