SailNet Community banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the process of relocating to the Dallas metro. I have a Catalina 34 wing keel I will be moving once I get the lakes/marinas sorted out. How about some recommendations from the local sailing community for a lake and a marina.
I don't require a lot of amenities but do need easy access from Plano, a fuel dock and hopefully a nearby yard with a lift for the annual cleaning/painting cycle. I tend to sail year round and like to spend nights out.
While I am waiting for the boat I would also welcome any crewing opportunities.
Thanks

·
Registered
652 Posts
David, a good marina to park your Catalina is Cedar Mills up on Lake Texhoma Cedar Mills Marina and Resort on Lake Texoma in north Texas , neat place, up the hill from the marina is where they build Valiant Yachts.
Hey CruisingDad, isn't that where you keep your Catalina? Weigh in here.
On another note, on a fresh water lake, you don't have haul your boat annually - in the summer, you can get in the water with it and scrub off the strange stuff growing on the bottom and zincs aren't nearly the issue that they are in salt water.

·
Registered
11 Posts
For that size boat, Texoma is the way to go.
I sail out of Ray Hubbard, but its a lot smaller than Texoma. Texoma is about a hour/hour and a half drive from Dallas.

·
Registered
995 Posts
David, a good marina to park your Catalina is Cedar Mills up on Lake Texhoma Cedar Mills Marina and Resort on Lake Texoma in north Texas , neat place, up the hill from the marina is where they build Valiant Yachts.
Hey CruisingDad, isn't that where you keep your Catalina? Weigh in here.
On another note, on a fresh water lake, you don't have haul your boat annually - in the summer, you can get in the water with it and scrub off the strange stuff growing on the bottom and zincs aren't nearly the issue that they are in salt water.
Yep - that's where I am!

Believe it or not, one of the best yards in the country (yes, I said coutry) is just a bit north of you on a very large lake called Lake Texoma. As mentioned, that is where they build (and have been building) Valiants for I guess two dcades now???

The people are very knowedgeable, you have a full yard and all its amenities, they have a full shop of parts with most of them on hand and when they order out, it is at more reasonable prices than West Marine (though not as good as Sailnet), and they have nice facilities at the Yacht Club.

PM me and you can call me and I wil give you details. Probably 99% of the people on Texoma live in Plano/N Dallas. It has been called a Catalina lake because that is 60+% of what you will see, followed by Beneteau and a lot of other boats that are top notch. Just some of the boats in our marina alone (which is not the largest marina, are: Valiants, Taswells, NonSuch, Pacific Seacraft, Tayanas (3 of them with two 42's and a 37), Mason 44, A large well-known and documented wooden square rigger, Hallberg-Rassy, Panda, etc. THere are yards on the coast that do not have that many top-notch boats. Lots of cruisers at Cedar Mills. THey have a lot of siminars on cruising too, including medical (via one of the several physicians here), safty, destinations, preparation, etc.

The negative of Cedar Mills are their docks. They are strong and pretty protected, but they are not nice and new like some other marinas. Quite candidly, they are not very pretty.

I drive 2.5 hours each way to go to Cedar Mills. It is one of the top places in Texas.

- CD

Cedar Mills number: 903-523-4222

·
27 Posts
When i lived in Dallas i had a boat on both Texoma and Lake Lewisville, about 15-20 minutes north of Plano. it's a good location if you want to get to/from your boat fast, but no real workyard to speak of and much smaller than Texoma. you can check out Grandpappy's marina on Lake Lewisville if needed.
Texoma's marine facilities are top notch. I had the valiant yard work on my boat and got to meet Bob Perry, the designer of several, quite by accident when he came by to check out my boat. Good luck!

·
Registered
152 Posts
Lake Texoma is the place to be. I live within 15 minuets of Lake lewisville, Lake Lavon and/or Ray Roberts but wont go to any of them. It takes me 45 min to get to my boat at Cedar Mills. Grandpappy's would be a good choice also but is a little harder to get to and not as nice in my opinion. Highport is mostly power boaters party place. There are lots of other smaller marinas that have a few sailboat slips also. Google "lake texoma marinas".

·
Registered
30 Posts
Lake Texoma

Texoma is the place to be.I have a 34 catalina at Highport Marina,slips have covered walkways,winter water,great restrant(party time late at night),30 to 40 minutes closer to Plano than Cedar Mills and less expense rates.Check it out.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Well David, the jury has unanimously voted that you will be on Texoma. Enjoy!!

·
Registered
994 Posts
Wait! Wait!....

I sailed on Eagle Mountain Lake for several years, and can recommend it. The problem with Texoma is that it can and will flood from time to time. That and the fact that it is a ways off from Dallas depending on exactly where you live. If you are going to live in the Arlington area or farther west, take a look at Eagle Mountain Lake.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Wait! Wait!....
I sailed on Eagle Mountain Lake for several years, and can recommend it. The problem with Texoma is that it can and will flood from time to time. That and the fact that it is a ways off from Dallas depending on exactly where you live. If you are going to live in the Arlington area or farther west, take a look at Eagle Mountain Lake.
I own a second home on Eagle Mountain Lake and it's a great place to live, but I would take Texoma over Eagle Mountain Lake for a place to put a 30+ foot sailboat.
Also, if David is going to live around Plano, it's closer to Texoma than Eagle Mountain all the way up in the far NW corner of Fort Worth.

·
Registered
111 Posts
No one's mentioned flooding on Texoma. It was a major problem when I lived there. I had my boat at Cedar Mills and it wasn't uncommon not to be able to use it due to the flooding. Has the COE solved that? ( Not the weather, but maintaining the lake levels).

·
Registered
111 Posts
SVlagniappe,

the Corps does a good job up here, they just couldn't control the rains. (I'm sure it was all bushs fault VBG):D
What great news. Now we don't have to worry about flooding anymore! ;)

Seriously, there's a shame we can't move some of that water down to South Texas. The drought south of here is terrible...

·
Siren 17
1,984 Posts
There is lake Grapevine. But it's pretty small for a thirty footer. It does have a pretty active sailing club though. about thirty minutes away from Plano.

·
Bali Hai
50 Posts
Two comments. First, we have owned the same boat (Pearson 10meter) for 34 years, and have had it first on Galveston Bay, then on Lake Ray Hubbard east of Dallas, and now on Texoma at the same Cedar Mills that others mention. I have to say, Texoma is great. I miss the tankers and tugs from Galveston Bay, but Texoma is actually better cruising, with lots and lots of small coves to go into, drop and anchor, and be alone. Texoma is a Core of Engineers lake, so all shoreline is undeveloped, making it like a wilderness.

Second, we live in Central Dallas, and go through Plano on the way to Cedar Mills. It is almost exactly the same driving time to go to Cedar Mills than to go to Highport. It doesn't seem like it should be that way when you look at a road map, but I don't think I save 10 minutes when going to Highport over going to Cedar Mills.

Also, Cedar Mills rents slips month to month, while Highport is strickly a one year lease. I know, I thought about trying Highport, but not willing to do a one year lease.

See you on the lake. I really didn't expect Texoma to be as much fun as it is. Also, lots of depth. I was used to all of Galveston Bay being 11 - 13 feet. On Texoma, I get nervous if I see less than 20 on the sounder, and 40 to 50 is normal.

·
Registered
111 Posts
See you on the lake. I really didn't expect Texoma to be as much fun as it is. Also, lots of depth. I was used to all of Galveston Bay being 11 - 13 feet. On Texoma, I get nervous if I see less than 20 on the sounder, and 40 to 50 is normal.
I think maybe your memory has faded. I've never seen over 10 feet in Galveston bay (other than a channel). 7 is more common... I draw 5' 7" and often bump the bottom getting out of my slip (Waterford Harbor)

But you are SO right about anchorages on Texoma. When we bought this boat, located in Kemah, we thought we'd be anchoring out all of the time. That's what we did on Texoma. The only decision there was whether to just go over to Paradise Cove, or find somewhere more secluded.

Here, there's one anchorage within a few hours of us, and it's nothing to look at, with hardly any protection. If you're willing to spend the day getting there, Moody Gardens is very nice, but oh how I long for Texoma anchorages!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am looking for the right yard on Texoma to do a moderate overhaul on an Ericson 32-200. I see on this thread that CD strongly recommended Cedar Mills in 2009. Any views on if that is still the case. I know Valiant Yachts are no longer built since 2011, so wondering if Cedar Mills is still the best choice. Any views?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts