SailNet Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got this braided 3/8" line that I got on clearance at WM, to be used on the throwables on Abracadabra and the new-to-us little stink-boat, and for the little Bruce/claw anchor for the latter. It's either nylon or polyester, has pretty good hand feel, and floats. I don't know if this stuff is splice-able, but I'm not inclined to try it right now. So, since these are to be "permanent," what knot(s) would y'all recommend?

Thanks,
Jim

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know that knot! But I know it as the Fisherman's Bend. I've been looking for an excuse to use it :p. I see one site suggests whipping the bitter end to the standing part. That seems like a good idea.

Same thing for the throwables?

Thanks,
Jim

·
Owner, Green Bay Packers
1,000 Posts
If it floats, it's polypropylene.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I know that knot! But I know it as the Fisherman's Bend. I've been looking for an excuse to use it :p. I see one site suggests whipping the bitter end to the standing part. That seems like a good idea.

Same thing for the throwables?

Thanks,
Jim
Ever tied a Monkey's fist? I think thta is the name. It is a fun knot and great for throwing.

- CD

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ever tied a Monkey's fist? I think thta is the name. It is a fun knot and great for throwing.
Kind of. I don't have quite the right sizes of line and a little ball to go into the middle to make it work.

I have a couple of knot books The Admiral gave me Christmas last. I went through both of them, reading about every knot and trying most of them.

Jim

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If it is polyprop which is likely...it will degrade quickly in UV light. Keep all of it covered when not in use.
I need to got back to the store and get the information on this rope to find out just what it is.

Thanks for the caution.

Jim

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Update

I did use an anchor bend (aka: fisherman's bend) on the anchors, and stitched the bitter end to the standing end with a bit of whipping twine to make sure it'd stay put down there in the water. But on the two throwables I used an angler's loop (aka: perfection loop), instead. The throwable for the little stink-boat is just one of those rectangular cushions--there's no actual ring, so an anchor bend wouldn't have worked well on that. And the ring on Abracadabra's throwable isn't big enough for the knot. The anger's/perfection loop is a very neat knot. Very secure. In fact: It tends to jam, which suits me just fine :).

As for the rope: The "rope guy" at the WM store (an accomplished sailor, btw) said it was Dacron. Oh yeah: And it doesn't float :rolleyes:

Jim

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
Use a Fisherman's Bend and sieze the bitter end to the standing part. That will hold your anchor and then some.
But if you are in doubt; Then use the studing sail bend as presented in the Ashley's book of knots and that will hold your anchor also.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts