Votes: 5 10.6%
  • you're gonna f'n die

Votes: 39 83.0%
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
El Chupa Nibre
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Title says it all. The weather is going to be beautiful so we decided to spend the holiday on the boat, just need to figure out the best way to cook the meal.

·
S/V Calypso
246 Posts
I highly recommend that you line the immediate area in the cockpit with a double layer of aluminum foil. Failure to do so could result in a slippery cockpit after clean-up.

One thing you didn't mention, is if you will be on hook during the frying. If so, you might consider a fore and aft anchoring scheme to keep the pitching down.

Also, I'd do a little research as to the proper way to dispose of the oil once finished. Since it isn't technically waste, you might be able to dump it over the rail.

Reactions: Mr. Bubs

·
S/V Calypso
246 Posts

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
do you have an oven? Im serious dont risk it this is a million times worse than having a gas engine or propane, or volatile fumes...if for whatever reason the oil spills you will melt and burn your glass catch fire and cause some huge damage.

I dont even recomend turkey fryers for cooking at home...had a friend who lost her apartment because of a neighboor how didnt drop it in correctly.

if you insist just do a breast, or roulade brown it first in a skillet with 1 inch of oil transfer to baking sheet and in oven

traditionally

if you want recipes and tips just let me know...there are many other chefs on here with skillz too!

peace

happy thanksgiving

·
Registered
293 Posts
Alternative recipe:

(1) Arrange stuffed turkey, breast side up, in center of cockpit.

(2) From the safety of your dinghy, set boat on fire.

(3) When flames die down, turkey is perfectly cooked.

Note: An 11 pound turkey requires a 25 foot boat to cook properly. Add 2 feet of boat length for every additional pound of turkey.

Fiberglass and wooden boats work equally well, but a wooden boat will impart a nice smokey flavor. Also note that you can wrap potatoes in foil on the cabin sole and have them bake at the same time.

Happy Thanksgiving! :laugher

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
A few years ago there was a discussion here about the risks inherent in cooking explosive foods - or, cooking foods in an explosive manner. You may find that thread here.

The upshot was that it is important to wear proper protective clothing.

This was developed for such a purpose:

Huge international outcry has resulted in the World Incendiary Materials Precautionary Service (W.I.M.P.S.) to develop a less butch version of the SLUG-P suit.

The newest version of protective gear is called the W.A.F.F.L.E.R. (Warm And Fuzzy Flammable Liquid Explosion Resistant) suit.

It provides all of the safety of the SLUG-P suit while allowing the wearer to look like a cute widdle bunny wabbit.

The suit is made of a tight kevlar-weave with titanium plate inserts in strategic areas. The asbestos-meshed neoprene lining provides thermal protection from combusting canned goods as well as doubling as an immersion suit and PFD due to its positive buoyancy characteristics.

One ear contains a powerful EPIRB transmitter, while the other can support the optional SAM (surface to air missile) modification kit.

The WAFFLER suit is available in white (as shown), flourescent yellow (also called 'yum-yum yellow' - very appealing to some species of shark) or, the very popular 'A Christmas Story' pink.

Happy Thanksgiving.

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
I think suspended off the end of the boom. That way, when it turns into a fireball you can cut the line and drop the whole works in the water.

But then again, maybe that's not a good idea. I picture a burning oil slick engulfing the entire anchorage. Might make the evening news.:D
excepyt if you do that hot oil and water EXPLODE

this is cooking 101

never ever throw water on hot oil

EVER!

·
Administrator
270 Posts
The real question is... Cruising with turkeys - do you keep them in your V berth or an external locker? And do you feed them crumbles or pellets?

The nice thing is once you process the turkey, you have feathers for hand-tying lures as well as some chum for the water. Then you can deep fry some fish for Christmas!

·
Super Moderator
6,777 Posts
Just make sure it is the blue water rated turkey fryer. You can tell them from the Benehuntalina fryers because of the roll bar and attached skeg hung igniter.. The flame is also in a protected aperture unlike the non blue water fryers.... A well built BWTF will have a dual Racor filtration system for keeping the cooking oil cleannnnnn....! Don't be swayed by lesser turkey fryers, only the BWTF's are built for this...

Now if you really want the cats meow turkey fryer get the one with built in AIS TX so we all Know when it's done and can come over for dinner...

·
bell ringer
5,029 Posts
I think the best place to mount a turkey fryer is ................................... on the dock.

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
No worries, if the oil gets too hot I'll just throw a scoop of ice in it to cool it down.
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAJAJAJAJAJAJAAJA geeze I hope your not serious...well I know you arent

btw thats how the people burned down the apartmnet complex they threw in a FROZN turkey into 400f oil

holy craptastic turkey recipe!:)

·
S/V Calypso
246 Posts
I would be interested to lean about the effects of saltwater on the fryer. Would you need to add a zinc to it? How about corrosion? I'm assuming you are going to use stainless steel exclusively.

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
here is a related story my spanish friends cruised with a regular steel paella pan and it could get greasy and oily when sauteeing off the ingredients...however this guy was a pro and not much oil is used like in a fryer

if you insist on frying they sell small pressure friers now that are contained like mcdonalds uses to fry their fries

btw thats how they get the crunchy outside and soft inside texture

·
Fortuitous
338 Posts
Today, I smoked a 46' turkey on my lowly 28' boat thanks to good cooking.

Why can’t these picnic chefs learn to cook?

They especially seem to have a problem with a deep frying. The oil should be hot...like well above room temperature. Aren't they teaching this in the Cooking 101 courses?

Every season, every time I go out, I cook much bigger, more expensive turkeys. I bought a turkey off Craigslist and a deep-fryer from eBay, usually for $100 to $200. It just goes to show you, how much you spend has little to do with performance or potential cooking enjoyment.

·
El Chupa Nibre
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I would be interested to lean about the effects of saltwater on the fryer. Would you need to add a zinc to it? How about corrosion? I'm assuming you are going to use stainless steel exclusively.
I was curious about that as well. I was thinking of grounding it to the keel with a copper strap, but perhaps a thru-hull would be better? Maybe SVAuspicious can weigh in on this.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts