SailNet Community banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Super Moderator
Farr 11.6 (Farr 38)
10,535 Posts
If you can find one, and I were to recommend a single model, I would suggest a Tartan 30. They are still PHRF Competitive at a club level, have a nice layout, are reasonably easy to handle, and sail well in a board range of conditions.

·
Super Moderator
Farr 11.6 (Farr 38)
10,535 Posts
Tartan 30' for $10,000? What are you smoking!?
In the past two years, i have been involved deals on two Tartan 30's: One sold for $6500, the other sold for $8500.

Both were in decent shape, could be sailed and motored, were reasonably well equipped, had decent sails and diesel engines in reasonably good operating condition. The $6,500 boat had pretty tired sails but certainly useable, updated deck hardware including towable jib sheet leads and self tailing winches, spinnaker gear but no spinnaker, a chalky hull that ultimately polished out, some deck core issues, and an engine that badly needed some hoses and belts.

The $8500 boat had portions of the deck recored and the whole deck repainted, reverse cycle heating and cooling, a modern battery management system and a new battery bank an almost new mainsail, and serviceable jib, and full spinnaker gear but a really beat to death spinnaker.

I know that there are Tartan 30 owners who want a lot more than that for their boats, but that does not mean that the original poster cannot find one in his price range,

Here are a few examples scattered around a broad area in the current market:

I will also note that last year I helped a fellow buy the Bristol 34 below that was around $8K with a bunch of good quality sails, all kinds of updated gear, new upholstery, windvane steering, and a fresh new beta engine.
Water Boat Sky Watercraft Vehicle

Similarly there is a member here who bought and is enjoying a Pearson 10M which was less than $10K. You just have to keep your eyes open.

Since the original poster was looking for a decent sailing boat under $10,000, I really don't understand what your question is.

Jeff

1 - 2 of 2 Posts