SailNet Community banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
Lots of good advice here. I understand that you have access to the mooring, so if you are wedded to that plan, then the walk-through transom is going to be a must, especially with kids. Makes getting on and off the dinghy a lot easier. Not to mention that one of the things my kids always loved most about going on the boat was jumping off and swimming. And I can tell you from bitter experience that those ladders that fit over the gunnels are really tough for kids and adults. Even the ladders that swing down from the push pit require you to climb over the railing to get on and off the boat. The walk through sugar scoop transom is really a game changer. I bought my first boat when my daughter was 3 or 4, and she needed help climbing up the ladder to get back on the boat. When I upgraded to my Catalina 28 (a boat that ticks off all of your boxes by the way, except for price) with the walk-through transom, the first time my then 23 year old daughter swam off and used the ladder and walk through, she said that that alone was worth the purchase price.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts