SailNet Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I stripped a thread in the boom this weekend, its a 10-24 thread and one of 4 screws holding a cheek block to the boom.

My go-to for thread repair is typically a heli-coil style insert. But in in a boom (or mast) I assume the insert would just thread itself right through (no bottom to the hole) ... is that correct?

So I'm wondering, what is the best way to repair this?

·
Registered
347 Posts
Is there any reason you couldn't use a blind rivet? I think it would provide a more robust longer term solution.. Most (if not all) of the hardware installed on my spars are done with good quality ss rivets (and Tefgel).

·
Registered
15 Posts
There is another option called Riv-Nuts. They're like a threaded pop rivet. You drill the over oversized to fit the size Riv-Nut that you need, put the Riv-Nut in the hole and then set it with a threaded mandrel. Once it's set you remove the mandrel and now you have a threaded hole.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Just remember the problem with dissimilar metals. Use some Tef-gel or Lanocote on the SS screw if you tap for a bigger size, or on the pop-rivet if you're attaching a SS cheek block with an aluminum pop rivet.
But any of the above suggestions are good ones, I think.
JV

·
Living the dream
347 Posts
I've used helicoils on the mast no problem. Lube with tefgel. They'll break the bolt before unscrewing. Don't ask me how I know!

·
██▓▓▒▒░&
13,645 Posts
Probably the Riv-Nut, unless that section of the boom is thick enough to tap in a heli-coil or other insert.

Either way I think I'd bed it in a little 5200 or epoxy, rather than using tefgel or another corrosion block that added no strength to the piece.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts