SailNet Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw something one day on the internet from an artist saying you could download charts to use as backgrounds for artwork. He was saying they were free to download and you just paid or used paper and ink to print them. Is this so? Is there a source for free nautical charts?

·
Registered
5,472 Posts
PDF charts can be found here:

PDF Nautical Charts (Trial)

Calibrated electronic charts that could be viewed in a chartplotter program can be found here:

Raster Navigational Charts: NOAA RNCs

They are free for marine use. I am not sure that the license allows for their use as background images for commercial artwork. You should search the website and/or call NOAA to verify.

Reactions: Rhapsody-NS27

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh Ty myself I am looking for marine use/ boating in my area and being new to boating i clicked a site the other day that was asking for money for each chart etc.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Was saying....Ty to the first responder to my post.
I myself (shortnsalty) am new to boating
Found some sites online that charge for charts.
Read somewhere there were sources of free charts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Also....at one site in particular I see the chart for my area (Ft.Pierce inlet area) when I go to that chart in particular and zoom in it has the depths for the ocean however the ICW has no markings. Im looking for the charts for the ICW in the treasure coast area Ft Pierce and Stuart Jensen beach area. I am looking for channel depths, shoals, anchorages etc. The ICW here on the treasure coast is very large and I see people sailing on it all the time. We are learning to sail and are looking for charts with all the info mentioned above of the ICW.

·
Sailboat Reboot
652 Posts

·
Daniel - Norsea 27
1,258 Posts
Try this: Interactive Catalog

When the map shows up, zoom down to the area you want and you'll see lots of boxes, clicking where there's a box, you'll see options load on the right of what you want. You can choose PDF files or Booklet, or electronic type for OpenCPN as mentioned above.

For Fort Pierce area, try looking for chart 11472 for the ICW.
http://www.charts.noaa.gov/PDFs/11472.pdf

·
Registered
9,378 Posts
LeRoy Neiman did some cool serigraphs of America's Cup races on charts.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts