Votes: 10 14.5%
  • Other

Votes: 23 33.3%
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm curious about the thoughts of the avid sailors and boaters on here...which state would you say has the best sailing and boating? Some "obvious" places like Maine might come to mind, but weather and snow no doubt impact your ability to do year-round sailing there, whereas a state like Texas, although less grand, is more accessible year round.

Putting it another way...if you had to spend the rest of your life sailing and/or boating in just one state, which state would it be?

About me: in July I'll be moving from North Dakota where I've worked in the oil business for the last 2 years to a place where I could make my lifelong dream of sailing a reality.

Background: 40 year old dude. No kids. Most of my family is in TN. Spent most of my life in CA.

Any thoughts?

·
Not so new Member
10 Posts
Easy, Maryland. Keep your boat there, but DO NOT MOVE THERE. Unless of course you like excessive taxes, crime, and an over-bearing state governement. Maryland's laws and policies serve only to seperate you from your money, and your freedom.

·
Wandering Aimlessly
22,036 Posts
How you sail, matters to where you sail.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
That you have never sailed, consider Maryland/Virginia. The Chessapeake is a great place to learn to sail, cruising or racing, and while not always year round, you can sail for most of the year.
John

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
About me: in July I'll be moving from North Dakota where I've worked in the oil business for the last 2 years to a place where I could make my lifelong dream of sailing a reality.
Dude, what, you can't keep your boat on Lake Sakakawea? It's like 200 miles long and 10 miles wide and there's probably a total of seven sailboats on it. Talk about solitude. Oh right, there are those months called October through May. Sorry.

Anyway, congrats on surviving for two years in the oil patch!

·
Registered
125 Posts
amazing sailing and cruising opportunities in the Pacific northwest oregon on the columbia is fun for a day sail but the puget sound and Salish sea has more then you could explore in a lifetime plus seattle if you like big cities or any number of smaller ones. it gets cold but the summers are great and it is not a place that snows a lot go somewhere a little farther north say Bellingham and you are 50 miles from canada and close to the San Juans. Vancouver island go south in Olympia and you have the nicest people :)

·
Registered
667 Posts
in July I'll be moving from North Dakota where I've worked in the oil business for the last 2 years to a place where I could make my lifelong dream of sailing a reality.
I would suggest starting your sailing on the resevior in Ray, ND rather then Lake Sakakawea. It's smaller and more forgiving but watch out for that railroad bridge. For year round sailing try Lake Nelson near Center, ND. The coal gasification plant keeps the water balmy year round.

·
Over Hill Sailing Club
3,688 Posts
The Northeast coast, Maine to NJ has everything one could ask for as far as sailing goes; from offshore to the beautiful Maine Coast, to canals... but it also has high taxes, expensive dockage/storage and way too many people. Oh did I forget? It also has WINTER. Florida is also very crowded and it has very high heat and humidity in summer. In the NE folks hide indoors all winter, in Florida, they hide indoors in air conditioning all summer. The best bet may be to live in a place with acceptable population density and taxes and keep the boat where it is usable most of the time, somewhere south of long winters. Up here in the NE, the boating season is very short. I have opted to keep the boat in N. Florida so I can control the amount of winter I want to endure.

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
the san francisco bay area is hard to beat for good wind and sightseing and racing etc...having said that it can be rough sailing and bad anchoring north...and fluky and light south aft pt.conception

if you decide against the bay area then other states like washington, alaska etc...offer more in the way of beatiful scenery

it also depends...looking for tropical, cold and icy or what?

·
no longer reading SailNet
2,309 Posts
amazing sailing and cruising opportunities in the Pacific northwest oregon on the columbia is fun for a day sail but the puget sound and Salish sea has more then you could explore in a lifetime plus seattle if you like big cities or any number of smaller ones. it gets cold but the summers are great and it is not a place that snows a lot go somewhere a little farther north say Bellingham and you are 50 miles from canada and close to the San Juans. Vancouver island go south in Olympia and you have the nicest people :)
This.

It gets chilly in the winter, but not so cold that we have to haul boats. I've sailed pretty much every week (including winter months) for the last 2 years. The hundreds of islands dotting the Salish Sea make for very interesting cruising. The summers are beautiful and not too hot. There is an active racing scene if that interests you too.

·
Broad Reachin'
2,038 Posts
I'll add my home waters of Michigan to the list. We've got:
*Over 3,000 miles of Great Lakes shoreline
*Over 11,000 inland lakes
*Over 35,000 Great Lakes islands
*Short sailing season! (That's the Achilles' heel!)

What we don't have:
*Saltwater
*Jellyfish
*Sharks

·
Over Hill Sailing Club
3,688 Posts
I'll add my home waters of Michigan to the list. We've got:
*Over 3,000 miles of Great Lakes shoreline
*Over 11,000 inland lakes
*Over 35,000 Great Lakes islands
*Short sailing season! (That's the Achilles' heel!)

What we don't have:
*Saltwater
*Jellyfish
*Sharks
Ah, but I'll bet you have a similar species of one of these denizens of the deep that we have in Champlain:) Search for Champ | Lake Champlain NY

1 - 20 of 36 Posts