SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody have any picks for an economical, somewhat turnkey setup for stove/ tank system for a Catalina 30? (aside from coleman stove)

Have some sort of alcohol system that scares the hell out of me, now.

Would rather go quickly, with warm food in tummy.

Merci.

·
2kt wind=trolling speed
370 Posts
sharkbait said:
Sorry to break it to you dude,but, Coleman is the answer.My first was a dual
burner $35 model,after 3 years I decided to stop cleaning it and just bought a new one.$85 single burner with grill.The great thing about the $3 disposable bottles is that they don't hold enough propane to blow up your boat.
While I agree 100% about the single burner Coleman I sure hope the last sentance was typed in jest.
Though my boat is considerably smaller I carry 2 stoves, the Coleman single and a butane single which uses the small(spray paint size) cans. Both stoves stow easy and give you 10K btu. I use the Coleman and a cast iron grill pan in the cockpit instead of a BBQ(not much room on a 23' boat for a Q).

·
Registered
81 Posts
goose327 said:
While I agree 100% about the single burner Coleman I sure hope the last sentance was typed in jest.
Though my boat is considerably smaller I carry 2 stoves, the Coleman single and a butane single which uses the small(spray paint size) cans. Both stoves stow easy and give you 10K btu. I use the Coleman and a cast iron grill pan in the cockpit instead of a BBQ(not much room on a 23' boat for a Q).

Dale, i have a 22ft and have a self-made rail mounting device that secures a Weber on the rail. It's been the best addition to the boat and as long as you aren't rockin' the dogs seem to stay put allright.

·
2kt wind=trolling speed
370 Posts
STARWINDY said:
Dale, i have a 22ft and have a self-made rail mounting device that secures a Weber on the rail. It's been the best addition to the boat and as long as you aren't rockin' the dogs seem to stay put allright.
No rails either,,LOL. TEAK baby teak. It was all I could do to put 4 screws in each side for the rod holder mounts. I'm still trying to figure out how to mount downriggers.:D

·
Telstar 28
43,289 Posts
Just don't store the propane canisters for it below decks... they should be in a fuel locker that drains overboard. Those little canisters of propane are bombs waiting to go off.

·
Registered
81 Posts

·
2kt wind=trolling speed
370 Posts

·
Telstar 28
43,289 Posts
Goose-

A propane stove for use on most sailboats should be fitted with gimbals... so it can compensate for angle of heel and boat rocking... If not, it can be very dangerous to cook on. Of course, this doesn't apply to multihulls in general, as they don't heel to any significant degree. ;)

·
2kt wind=trolling speed
370 Posts
Good point, I forget sometimes, you guys are real sailors with needs other than a hot spot to put a pot while on the hook. LOL
OK, forget the RV stove.

·
moderate?
13,875 Posts
Geary...I assume you are looking for a real...down below, permanent mount system.
Something like this might be what you are looking for.
http://www.marisafe.com/img/Items/L/457020012.jpg

unfortunately...every boat is different but you will need to figure out the lines and solenoid and place to store your tank yourself as there are no "kits" to order.

·
Señor Member
4,858 Posts
If I have missed anyone's reminder to ensure a safe and ABYS propane installation, then just ignore me. It's has been said many times before on SailNet - but worth mentioning again.

Any gas appliance used in an enclosed space can be lethal, without some very basic installation guidelines. The LPG cylinder must be above deck with a means for potential leaks, which are heavier than air, to escape. Gas accumulation in your boat's bilge is a very bad thing . . . don't even use a portable 14 oz cylinder below deck.

A permanent, gimbal stove setup, such as what we have onboard, should also include an automatic shutoff - if the flame should go out, in addition to a propane sniffer and CO detector. A solenoid switch attached to the required OPD valve is also standard equipment.

Most everyone knows this stuff . . . but just making sure you check first.

·
Registered
113 Posts

·
Registered
87,723 Posts
There is also the FORESPAR MINI-GALLEY. As far as actual stoves or ranges go - there is a reason that people spend the money for them (and it's not an overabundance of funds). They are made to withstand the corrosive effects of a marine environment. Coleman and it's competitors are not. They rust. Their fittings break and come loose. Not a huge deal in a campground - more of an inconvenience than a danger. Any leaking gas can dissipate quickly before it explodes. However, when you are on a boat, you don't allow that gas to dissipate, it just settles into the bilge and waits for the first smoker to light up a butt, and Kaboom ! Or the engine to spark or the batteries to spark or...

I realise that there are thousands of boats sailing around all over the place right now with Coleman stoves and zinc bolts and their owner are just enjoying the heck out them. But there are also a lot of people driving around drunk right now, enjoying themselves, and a whole bunch of other people high on crack and they are REALLY enjoying themselves.

If you Google marine stoves - you'll come up with about five major manufacturers - and there is unfortunately not a lot of difference in pricing. The safest stove you can have on your boat is a non-pressurised alcohol stove - Origo is the only brand I am aware of, there might be others. If you want a propane set up, then you need a locker, pressure guage, regulator, solenoid, sniffer, and aluminum or stainless propane tank. It's going to cost about $900.00 by the time you are finished - if you buy new. If you want an oven as well - add another $500.00

You can often find used stoves in good condition. This should shave at least $250.00 off your cost. As far as the rest of it goes - you might be able to get away with using the small disposable Coleman propane bottles, as there are a lot of adapters on the market that allow you to connect these to the regular marine fittings. If you do go that route - you won't need a solenoid/pressure gauge/regulator but you will still need somewhere outside the cabin to store the bottles. And NEW hose so you're probably looking at about $400.00 all up.

Good Luck !

·
Telstar 28
43,289 Posts
Actually, a properly installed LPG stove is no less safe than an unpressurized alcohol stove. Key words being—properly installed. In some ways it is safer, since you don't have to pour the fuel into the canisters.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Got mine on ebay for around $50.00 added a regulator and hose.All stainless with a toaster oven two burners on top grill in center.I think it was a import.Have seen others like it for sale same price.You can see it photobucket under deerebill album.Good luck.Bill NC

1 - 20 of 20 Posts