SailNet Community banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Rafiki 37
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My radio is mounted below at the nav table, and I'd like to keep it there. However, I'd like to replace it with one that has a wireless handset option so that I can take it outside the cabin with me when I am sailing, and ideally, is NMEA2000.

I'd also like to get one without the extra cost of AIS, since I will be getting a AIS transmitter/receiver separately anyway and it'd be a waste of money.

I have a simrad NSS8 chartplotter so was looking at the RS35, but it's kind of pricey and includes AIS. Any others I should be looking at?

I'm also in Canada so the RS35 is over 500 dollars compared to Defenders $320 :/

·
Freedom isn't free
3,285 Posts
Is this price any better?
Simrad 000-10790-001

Not sure... but I think I'm leaning towards all Simrad stuff myself, or nearly all. I got a great deal from these people... for instruments that are no longer in production (but I got them still new)...

I was debating between the RS12 and the Standard Horizon Explorer 1700.... granted I am on small water when AIS and even DSC is probably overkill.. but I don't wanna be landlocked forever.

·
Registered
Rafiki 37
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is this price any better?
Simrad 000-10790-001

Not sure... but I think I'm leaning towards all Simrad stuff myself, or nearly all. I got a great deal from these people... for instruments that are no longer in production (but I got them still new)...

I was debating between the RS12 and the Standard Horizon Explorer 1700.... granted I am on small water when AIS and even DSC is probably overkill.. but I don't wanna be landlocked forever.
US only sadly. I'm in Canada

·
Sailor
935 Posts
Just a thought for consideration: a main drawback of the units with wireless handsets is the need to remember to recharge the unit. After a long sail you might find a discharged handset just when you need it most. For that reason, I got the standard horizon matrix with wired remote.

Tod

·
Registered
13,641 Posts
The goal is to have radio in the cockpit, or to do (?)what with NMEA2000?

Personally I'd rather have a handheld VHF on deck, or install a second VHF in the coaming pocket or under the helm seat. Totally redundant because having a second totally separated radio can be a real good thing when the first one decides to have problems. (Separate antenna too, yes.)

·
Registered
Rafiki 37
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have a separate handheld for emergencies - it'd be nice to have the vastly extended range of the primary radio in the cockpit, along with the DSC features.

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
I have a fixed radio in the cabin, with SH RAM3 wired mic in the cockpit. The RAM mic sits right next to my helm at ear level, so I hear everything that comes in. I never really considered a cordless cockpit mic, but in retrospect if I had gotten one I would have lost it overboard by now - a couple times over.

I also have a handheld as backup. It sits in the cabin on the charger cradle, so it's always ready and fully charged. It has DSC (w/built-in GPS), which I highly recommend for any handheld. It also has the capability to output its GPS signal to a fixed radio via NMEA, which is a nice way to implement the fixed radio's DSC capabilities (as long as the handheld stays turned on in the cradle). I do not use NMEA feature, because I already had a dedicated GPS hooked to the radio when I added the handheld.

·
Freedom isn't free
3,285 Posts
I'll let you know how things go when I wire all my stuff up.
Have Simrad is20 wind, depth, speed... Uses Simnet (NMEA 2000 compatible)
Just ordered the Standard Horizon Explorer 1700 (built in GPS)... the 1700, only does NMEA 0183...

What's interesting is I am going to buy a Simrad TP22, which has Simnet (in/out), AND NMEA 0183 input. If I am reading everything correctly this will provide, speed, depth, compass, wind, Apparent Wind Speed, Apparent Wind Angle, True wind Speed, True wind Angle, steer to wind, GPS, and steer to waypoint...

I'm starting with an essentially fresh electronics installation, so my goal was an inexpensive installation, that provides the most options for me.

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
Hey

Boat and cheap just don't go along :)

What are you REALLY trying to do? Just writing 'extended range and DSC' doesn't mean much. What you plan on doing with the DSC information? Do you have friends on other boats that you want to be able to communicate with (find location, have 'private' conversations, be able to 'alert', etc.)? Or do you just want the emergency features of DSC?

Note that unless your plotter has access to DSC features, you really only can access the emergency features on a radio. If you plan on linking the plotter and VHF together, then NEAM 2000 is the simplest and more reliable way. Of course you can use NMEA 0183 to do this, but it is way more complicated (it seems that each manufacturer has their own wiring scheme) and you must connect the teeny tiny wires yourself and ensure that they stay connected (for me, connecting small wires in a salt water environment was very very reliable).

IMHO, an inexpensive way of doing with would be with a Lowance Link 8 radio (NMEA 2000 and DSC, no AIS) and your existing NMEA 2000 plotter. That radio doesn't support a wireless handset option, but I think that 99% of the time a handheld VHF is good enough. For the few times that it isn't, you have the fixed 25W station down below.

If you insist on a wireless remote handset and NMEA 2000 then I think the simrad is the only unit that does it.

FYI I have the Simrad unit and handset. Connecting it to my plotter (garmin 740) and other electronic gear (Raymarine Evo autopilot) was a snap. I mounted the handset charger in the cockpit, so if I am using the boat, the handset is in the charger and being charged. While I am operating the boat I can hear the handset and easily reach it. This way the battery stays charged and I don't lose it. If I'm going to be on the bow or side decks I can take it with me, but I usually also have a hand held radio on my PFD.

Things I like about the Simrad radio:
I can make DSC calls to buddy boats easily (including my HX851 handheld)
It was very easy to integrate
Sound quality is very good

Things I don't like:
Some DSC functions can't be accessed from the handset (I don't remember which ones).

Barry

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.