SailNet Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at a boat that has recently had a Beta Marine Diesel engine installed. I know of Universal, Yanmar etc. But have not heard of Beta. Does anybody have any insight into this engine and are they any good?

·
Banned
711 Posts
Beta uses Kubota engines.

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
Beta makes a very good marine diesel based on various Kubota diesel blocks. :) Designed for ease of maintenance and reliability.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
They are Kubota-based, and a damn good motor. They cannot, nor do they try to, rip you off for spare parts as the motors are often found in fork-lifts, and other uses. I have checked some of the spare parts prices, and although not cheap, they are not a rip-off.

http://www.betamarine.co.uk/newsite/downloads/datasheets/seagoing-070508/Beta 38 S_ds.pdf

They are quite high-revving, so there won't be much of a "chugg-chugg" to them. They have the usual Japanese quality. They have a cast-iron block and heads. They are not that heavy either.

On this motor, it looks like the gearbox is air-cooled, and so doesn't need plumbed into the coolant feed. Others are liquid cooled. It looks like the 'box can be removed easily too.

They say that the canshaft is gear-driven, so you won't have to suffer the uncertainties of toothed cam drive belts.

I know one guy that has one and speaks highly of it.

The 38 hp Kubota will be my next motor. My own motor is a good one.... the cast-iron block 35 hp Volvo MD17C.... but the spare parts prices have been descrided by one as "lunatic". I have noticed.

I have no latent or formal interest in Beta Marine or Kubota.

·
Registered
5,680 Posts
I'd consider a new, properly installed Betamarine engine a major plus. No hesitation on that account.

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
If I ever live long enough to outlast my rebuilt Atomic 4, I would choose the Betamarine "drop in" in a heartbeat. Their design with all "replaceables" within easy access is a big plus, as is their "tractor parts" heritage.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I have a Beta genset and, after a few teething issues, it has been a solid, reliable unit. As has been noted, it's a Kubota engine and I have been able to find parts in the Bahamas, which says a lot.

Dick Pluta
AEGEA
Islander Freeport 41
Nassau Bahamas

·
Seinor Member
276 Posts
Beta engine parts

The only parts you would have to buy from Beta are the heat exchanger parts. The end O rings etc. All the other engine parts can be purchased from any Kubota dealer.
Kubota tractor dealers are all over the world. It's really one of the easiest engines to get parts for and at reasonable cost. My injector pump went out in Bocas Del Toro and had it repaired in one day for 75.00 U.S.
Fair Winds
Cap'n Dave

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
The motor is tough too. I know of one that was thrashed day after day as a wee cement mixer, and still it runs, and runs.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts