SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 193 Posts

·
Banned
17,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've seen a lot of rescue stories in various threads around here and sliced and diced them every which way possible. This thread is intended to be a "gallery" for those stories and conversations regarding what lies just beyond that "edge" of big sailing. It does make you think...

First story:

The S/V "Lunatic Pirate"
-Story from NZ Herald
-Email and pics from the guy who found the abandoned boat

RIP

·
Registered
38 Posts
Reactions: AKA44

·
Registered
5,680 Posts
We've seen a lot of rescue stories in various threads around here and sliced and diced them every which way possible. This thread is intended to be a "gallery" for those stories and conversations regarding what lies just beyond that "edge" of big sailing. It does make you think...

First story:

The S/V "Lunatic Pirate"
-Story from NZ Herald
-Email and pics from the guy who found the abandoned boat

RIP
Sad.

I expect it would be eery coming across a vessel like that. But the usual practice is to scuttle derelicts (cut hose, open seacock). I wonder why they left it adrift like that?

·
Banned
17,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Who can forget the "Ghost Yacht" catamaran found drifting off Australia's Great Barrier Reef a couple of years ago. Three missing sailors with sails up, engines running and food on the table? Quite a mystery.

FOXNews.com - Search Launched for Missing Crew of 'Ghost Ship' Found Off Australia - International News | News of the World | Middle East News | Europe News

Families of missing 'ghost yacht' crew end search
Jeez that's freaky. From the article:

"Greg Connor, a forecaster with the Bureau of Meteorology, said the sailors would have faced moderate southeasterly winds of about 22 mph, typical weather for this time of year.

"It would have been excellent sailing conditions," he said. "There's no reason to believe this is a weather related incident."

Well how do they explain the jib?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Very spooky... not sure when the pic was taken (when they first found it or after crews had been aboard), but why are the fenders down....

Also the news articles mention a laptop running and food on the table. I know multi's are pretty stable, but if the weather had been really bad, I doubt they'd have gear and food on the tables...

Weird... just Weird.. Cool find Adru!

·
Telstar 28
43,289 Posts
If the weather had really been bad, even if they had food on the table, it probably wouldn't have stayed there... an uncontrolled multihull in a storm will often have quite a bit of vertical motion...and the chances are more than likely that the food would have ended up on the cabin sole.
Very spooky... not sure when the pic was taken (when they first found it or after crews had been aboard), but why are the fenders down....

Also the news articles mention a laptop running and food on the table. I know multi's are pretty stable, but if the weather had been really bad, I doubt they'd have gear and food on the tables...

Weird... just Weird.. Cool find Adru!

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
Shortest ocean crossing ever?

It seems that Australasia is the focus of these events.

Remember the guy who left NZ on an ocean voyage and ended up being winched to a helo from his boat off the rocks of a local island. His track from point of departure to where he lost the boat is a mystery in itself that even the sailor appears not to be able to explain.

Yachtie rescued by helicopter on Great Barrier Island | NATIONAL | NEWS | tvnz.co.nz

But these things happen, no-one knows that better than me. :(

·
Banned
17,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Don't worry Omatako - there will be plenty of yanks getting smacked down in this thread.

What a way to end your first leg of a circle! Wake up on the rocks? Ouch.

·
Registered
5,680 Posts
If the weather had really been bad, even if they had food on the table, it probably wouldn't have stayed there... an uncontrolled multihull in a storm will often have quite a bit of vertical motion...and the chances are more than likely that the food would have ended up on the cabin sole.
I haven't gone back and read those articles, but I vaguely remember speculation that they had all gone for a swim while becalmed, and the boat sailed away from them??

It can happen. I once read an account by folks whom this had nearly happened to, mid-ocean. Fortunately, one especially strong swimmer, and a brief lull, got them back aboard.

·
Registered
5,680 Posts
Holy crap. So it happens that easily?
It can, if everyone jumps in for a swim at the same time when becalmed -- with sails up. Even a light breeze can push the boat along faster than most folks can swim for any great distance.

Of course, the other possibility is alien abduction.

Reactions: Smier

·
Telstar 28
43,289 Posts
IIRC, the theory that had the most backing was that one of them had fallen overboard, and the others fell overboard attempting to retrieve the MOB.
I haven't gone back and read those articles, but I vaguely remember speculation that they had all gone for a swim while becalmed, and the boat sailed away from them??

It can happen. I once read an account by folks whom this had nearly happened to, mid-ocean. Fortunately, one especially strong swimmer, and a brief lull, got them back aboard.

·
STARBOARD!!
1,662 Posts
It can, if everyone jumps in for a swim at the same time when becalmed -- with sails up. Even a light breeze can push the boat along faster than most folks can swim for any great distance.

Of course, the other possibility is alien abduction.
What if they were hove-to; two went in for a dip and the 3'rd decided to take a swim but forgot it would leave no-one aboard? The boat could still get away if a wind shift caused it to set sail on the opposite tack.

But engines running while the sails were up is another cause for concern, were they in neutral for charging or were they driving the boat along like they were motor-sailing?

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Gooday fellows,
The Kaz II was left in a marina for a few months I believe, then the guys sailed off. The area is infamous for drug happenings. Then it does appear that they just fell overboard.

Smackdaddy - RESIST THE URGE TO SWIM OVER THE SIDE WHILST AT SEA Thats why the old salts did not learn to swim - just prolonged the inevitible.

Jeez I sound like my old man.

·
2,445 Posts
Both articles mention that the life raft was missing. The reality is unless there is a survivor you never really know what happened when a boat is found drifting. Sobering...

·
1975 Newport 28
573 Posts
Why would all the fenders be deployed? Is this a precaution that multi-hull sailors take on a permanent basis?

1 - 20 of 193 Posts