SailNet Community banner

181 - 193 of 193 Posts

·
Banned
17,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #183
Hey Smack, Ya but are you going or is anyone going to say that boat was in good condition. Looks to me they never did one damn thing to her. The decks are rotten. Chain plates don't pull out like that unless the boat is the pits. People are crazy.
No, I certainly wouldn't go that far. It's a lot like REBEL HEART was in that regard.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Hey Smack, Ya but are you going or is anyone going to say that boat was in good condition. Looks to me they never did one damn thing to her. The decks are rotten. Chain plates don't pull out like that unless the boat is the pits. People are crazy.
I'm not sure what you saw on that boat that led you to this conclusion. The decks don't look necessarily rotten to me. They look wet.

Like you, I /hope/ there were obvious visual signs that the chainplate assembly was toast, but theres nothing in this video that proves that.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Looked like big holes to me thru the decks at likely chain plate locations . . . . as if they pulled right up and out, look closely I could be wrong . . . .

·
Registered
92 Posts
Looked like big holes to me thru the decks at likely chain plate locations . . . . as if they pulled right up and out, look closely I could be wrong . . . .
Yep, thats what happens when a whole chainplate assembly is ripped through a deck. :)

What I was questioning was Hannah's idea that the boat was in obvious disrepair, and that therefore the chainplates failing is not a surprise.

Using the chainplate failure as the evidence of obvious disrepair is 'circular reasoning'...

Clearly the boat had a problem. Was that problem obvious and apparent prior to the failure? I hope so, and I'd assume so, but this *video* does not contain evidence to support that.

·
Registered
1 Posts
No sails on this one, but I bet it could be also really dangerous to try to cruise the see on it. When you have dangerouse situation thanks to yourself it is bad. If you are put in danger by ignorant greedy company, it is worst.

·
Banned
17,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #192
Godspeed John...

Volvo Ocean Race Statement

Race Control for the Volvo Ocean Race has been informed by Team Sun Hung Kai/Scallywag of a man overboard incident on Monday afternoon at approximately 13:42 UTC.

The team, along with the Marine Rescue Coordination Centre (MRCC), has been conducting a search and rescue operation to recover the missing crew member, John Fisher (UK), who was wearing survival equipment when he went overboard. The remaining crew are reported safe.

·
Registered
1 Posts
marv55
I completely agree with you. It's bad to go swimming in a broken yacht. But it can be repaired and you will be sure of it. But when the manufacturer says that everything is fine with the yacht, but it is not. At such times you are very afraid for your life.

181 - 193 of 193 Posts