SailNet Community banner

141 - 160 of 193 Posts

·
Banned
17,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #141
This one was tragic, yacht was never found, or even an oil slick...the sinking of beserk. I would post a pic or link but in sailnet's esteemed view, we newbies are not allowed such luxuries.
Eech. Yeah I remember that one. I came across the Berserkers a few years before the disappearance. Seriously fun and adventurous dudes. True bummer.

·
I don't discuss my member
2,557 Posts
The Chinese Gybe video in post 131 is caused by one thing. The driver. That's it. There's a lot wrong with the video.
  • There's some breeze on. WTF is the guy on the boom going to do? Hold back 800sf of sail? I don't think so, get down.
  • The guy using the mainsheet as an anchor point? Lucky he didn't break his arm.
  • Driver is obviously too deep. 170* is where you want it. No boat goes DDW very fast. He messed up driving, had 4 people get dunked one completely off the boat. Hope he bought that crew dinner and a few drinks. As said above, 12" difference would've killed him.
  • PFD's would've been nice, but I'm as guilty as the next guy, they get in the way and suck on a hot race day when your sweating like a whore in church. But they do safe lives.
  • Tether and jacklines? lol that ain't going to happen on any inshore race. No one is going to clip in, then unclip to do their job, then clip back in. You can't do basic race maneuvers tethered in during a buoy race.

Finally, it wasn't blowin that hard but the driver was way too deep, boat rolls when you do that and the sailplan is harder to manage. Take your eye off the ball, and you can break bits, like people. In heavy air, beware of the boom, vang, mainsheet, and traveler.

·
Chastened
4,861 Posts
I don't know what the polars are for that boat, but, might it have been faster (and SAFER) to head up to a deep reach rather than bomb DDW? If not then how about a preventer, and some life jackets... and teathers.

looks like they did a good MOB. One crew pointed, one crew threw life sling.
This and what ZZgta says. Assyms are made for reaching, not DDW.

·
Banned
17,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #145
Okay - here's the deal...when you've screwed up so incredibly bad that your boat is on a beach full of 15 year old dudesters...don't stand around and wait for the yellow blanket of shame. You're not a victim of the sea that needs first aid. You're just a bonehead.

·
Banned
17,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #148
This was right in my sailing backyard:

A shredded boat with a pfd attached and dragging behind it. Not an encouraging sight 100 miles off-shore.

Turns out the couple had been rescued a few weeks previously. The S/V Escape Pod is probably still bobbing around out there.

·
Banned
17,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #150
Always a good idea to keep the loved ones in the loop. A $250K oopsie? These guys were in my backyard.

·
That Drunk Guy
257 Posts
Ha, of course I just saw this post, after I posted a link to the same story as a new thread....I should have looked harder I guess. Regardless, he was truly a maniac.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Mary Celeste ...was a British merchant brigantine. The ship is famous for having been discovered on 5 December 1872 in the Atlantic Ocean, unmanned and apparently abandoned (the one lifeboat was missing, along with its crew of eight and two passengers), although the weather was fine and her crew were experienced and capable seamen.

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
141 - 160 of 193 Posts