SailNet Community banner

161 - 180 of 193 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
TAO was a French Alliage 42, an aluminum centerboarder... Apparently capsized and remained inverted for 5 minutes, before eventually righting itself, but by which time she was half-filled with water...

This from John Harries on MORGAN'S CLOUD...

https://www.morganscloud.com/2014/05/22/loss-of-yacht-tao/
I think that this is proof that any well founded boat such as the Alliage can come in harms way. Was it operator error or just stuff happens sometimes or a combination of both. The ocean is big and it can be terrifying at times. Given a crew being tired and a wrong situation can spell trouble for any sailor.

I believe a mast stepped water tight boat is your best possible way to survive an ordeal like this. Once I believed that a keel stepped boat was safer but boats like the Alliage and other aluminum center boarders are the best way to go. Reason being is that a keel stepped boat on a knock down could tear a hole in the cabin top and will let water in. I know that was not Tao's problem as water seems to have come in through the companion way at least that is the assumption.

Our story of being whacked off of Panama is in that link to Morgans Cloud. Though not 30 foot waves we were hit very hard and survived splendidly. Our boat a Boreal 44 is a bit more advanced than the Alliage in that we do have a keel with about ten thousand pounds of lead in it. She draws one meter with center board up. We feel confident that had we been in our previous boat a well founded Mason 44 we would have be knocked down and had some pretty serious damage. What I took out of the Tao story and many other stories posted in this thread is any boat can sink no matter how good they are made. We have great confidence in our boat but I will never believe that for a moment we are always safe no matter how big the waves maybe.

Cheers

·
Banned
17,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #163 (Edited)
Holy crap! This one is sketchy...

Motor vessel Tor Viking rescues a distressed mariner from his disabled 30-foot sailboat approximately 400 miles south of Cold Bay, Alaska, Oct. 20, 2015. The mariner alerted the U.S. Coast Guard with his emergency position indicating radio beacon. U.S. Coast Guard video.
https://www.dvidshub.net/video/embed/429231

What kind of boat is that? It almost looks like an Open 40.

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Holy crap! This one is sketchy...

https://www.dvidshub.net/video/embed/429231

What kind of boat is that? It almost looks like an Open 40.
Ouch. Personally I would have thought stepping off the sail boat on that big wide open transom would have been a better place to jump off the boat. Crew could have pulled the sailboat in real close too. Guy made a lucky leap.

·
Señor Member
576 Posts
Props to that captain for being able to re-board his boat:

The waves were so intense that at one point, the sailboat’s mast touched the water. The man was thrown overboard, but climbed back on his boat, the Coast Guard said.

:cut_out_animated_em

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
“Usually when we tow a boat, we prefer to have someone on the boat that’s being towed — it’s a safer evolution that way,” Ameen said Monday. “Plus we didn’t want the cat to be alone in there.”

Can't leave the cat alone! Major props to the Coast Guard.

·
Closet Powerboater
3,925 Posts
All joking aside that rescue looks HAIRY! From my armchair 2000 miles away the boat looks like it is floating. I'd rather stay with the boat than risk a transfer like that!

Makes me wonder id a handful of Valium tablets is essential storm gear. Deploy the drag device, pop some happy pills and do NOT call for rescue!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

·
Boat Hunter
48 Posts
I can't believe I missed this thread until now.... great content. Bought a couple of books from Amazon because of it too!

·
Registered
898 Posts

·
Banned
17,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #175
Okay - this is freakin' hilarious. SmacklingTheEldest found this one - so credit where it's due:

161 - 180 of 193 Posts