SailNet Community banner

Who are the Big Freakin' Sailors of 2008?

• Westies

Votes: 14 23.7%
  • Easties

Votes: 19 32.2%
  • Gulfies

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • Supernorthies

Votes: 4 6.8%
  • Supersouthies

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • Eurpies

Votes: 18 30.5%
  • Others

Votes: 5 8.5%
1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Banned
17,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

Okay, so I don't hear incessant whining for the next year from all the regulars - here's the BFS Cup poll for 2008.

I'm interested to see which group of big freakin' sailors Sailnetters think are the gnarliest in the whole damn world...at least for this year. I got my own ideas - what are yours?

Now, bear in mind, this poll can be tossed overboard at any time. Since we've already seen certain "tactics" by unnamed sailors for "click inflation" by providing links in their sigs (genius, yes, but bogus) - there will be an "MDB Rule" strictly enforced with the voting. If it doesn't jive with the evidence in BFS - it's gone. Is this fair? What the hell do I care?

So, check out the BFS thread - then come here and vote for the group that is truly throwin' down. He are the contenders (Note the US-centric "map" being used. If we start getting a true showing from across the waves, maybe this changes. But probably not.):

Westies - (from San Diego to Vancouver)
Easties - (from Quebec to Miami)
Gulfies - (from Brownsville to Tampa)
Supernorthies - (Canada and Alaska)
Supersouthies - (Australia and maybe Central America & Asia)
Eurpies - (The whole damn thing)
Others - (Whoever I forgot - I suck at geology*)

*It's a joke you moron.

·
Banned
17,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That poor Eurpie is carrying the entire continent on his shoulders. He's definitely one of the best - but that's a big damn continent for one guy with a sweet ride and a camera (and lots, and lots, and lots, and lots of film/disk space).

·
Banned
17,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow - NO Eastie votes at all? This is sad. Really sad. Someone throw these guys a bone!

·
Registered
7,296 Posts
AAAAAAANNd there off, the westies took a 3 gallop lead, then the eurpies got 2 gallups to close the gap, now the easties and have gotten a gallup ea, along with the westies making headway with 4 gallups into the first turn they go.................

to be continued

·
Registered
7,296 Posts
Hlaf way thru the first turn, the easties are turning it on, with three GIANT gallups, have overtaken the westies, the the super northies finally out of the starting gate....................

·
Banned
17,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Whoa, whoa, whoa. The Eurpies with 23% already? Let's see Giu, his wife, and Fred. That's 3. I'm sure he's working feverishly to get the little one to click the right radio button to make 4. But I gotta wonder after that.

·
Banned
17,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have an issue with the list, I'm not an "eastie" I sail the GREAT FRIGGIN LAKES! Screw all you, we need a big lakie category. I even sailed that little puddle the Canadians call Lake Simcoe.
Dude, I'm a lake sailor too. So you'll get no sympathy here. I mean it's not like you have a rich history of "Great Midwestern Sailors" on your side. They're lakes, man.

So don't whine, just pick a group and sail big. Make a name for yourself.

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
"they're lakes"? I've read many accounts of world travellers who said the worst ride they ever had was on lake michigan

many a 'big time' sailor has come here to race the big mac races and lost their ass.

and there have been sailors from round here who have gone on to international fame

·
Glad I found Sailnet
3,842 Posts
This is really a tough poll. I know what some Easties have done, but Gui's got a lock on BFS-with-a-smile. Hmmmm, which way to vote, which way to vote.....

·
Banned
17,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Okay - so I look at BFS and see these scores and I gotta wonder...are the Westies really this modest?

·
Registered
702 Posts
I think the lakes go in the category as others......got a family friend who sailed there in the 60's as a kid and said they won every race on michigan dont know how true that is or the name of the boat but it was a nice boat......what do we get out of that story lakes count but not for theyre own category

bene please dont cross over we need this

·
Banned
17,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Wuffles, dude, I like your style. Like he says - lakes is somethin' other.

And don't you other guys start singing Gordon Lightfoot or I'll slap ya. Witch of November. Yeah, talk to Sway about her! Heh, heh.

·
Registered
7,296 Posts
........half way thru the first turn the easties and westies have ea gained a gallup, with the eurpies doubling there score to 6! with a caution flag out for the eurpies and whom is voting. The super northies have stalled out side the gate with one gallup, the super southes, gulfies and others, not even out of the starting gate. It's loking pretty slim for them, stay tuned tomorrow, on this BFS station, for more BFS, at the BFS time, and BFS channel!........................

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
We all should have been sailing last night off northern New England!!!
Go Easties
See

ANZ150-152-154-261000-
STONINGTON ME TO PORT CLYDE ME OUT TO 25 NM-
PORT CLYDE ME TO CAPE ELIZABETH ME OUT TO 25 NM-
CAPE ELIZABETH ME TO MERRIMACK RIVER MA OUT TO 25 NM-
256 PM EST TUE NOV 25 2008

STORM WARNING IN EFFECT UNTIL 1 AM EST WEDNESDAY

TONIGHT
SE WINDS 40 TO 55 KT WITH GUSTS UP TO 70 KT...BECOMING S
30 TO 40 KT WITH GUSTS UP TO 60 KT LATE THIS EVENING AND EARLY
MORNING...THEN BECOMING SW 20 TO 30 KT WITH GUSTS UP TO 45 KT AFTER
MIDNIGHT. SEAS 18 TO 28 FT...SUBSIDING TO 14 TO 20 FT AFTER
MIDNIGHT. RAIN. VSBY 1 TO 3 NM.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Well put, but even us Northeasties go on the hard when we get down to 15 degrees F. Also no one will insure non commercial boat in water after Nov.1 unless you pay a huge additional premium, so we are relegated to frozen boat projects.
PNW sailing is great though and you have an amazing playground there, and plenty challenging too!

SkipperB

1 - 20 of 105 Posts