1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
140 Posts
This isn't the first time people have escaped from Cuba on a wind surfer. I have a good customer who did it many years ago. I call him Surfer Dude. The sad thing is that so many don't make it. Of the three who started out, only one made it to the US. One was picked up by the USCG and will be returned to Cuba and the third died.

·
Administrator
8,371 Posts
I dont see why its hard to believe the story.
There must be zillions of windsurfers at the big resorts in the east end, and Key West isnt far away, with current helping.
Three fit sailboard instructors, or whatever, who usually sail a few hours per day only need to double that. And only one in three makes it.

Has the ring of truth to me.

Minid you, I would have gone somewhere a bit more civilized (and less expensive) than Key West. ;)

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I dont see why its hard to believe the story.
There must be zillions of windsurfers at the big resorts in the east end, and Key West isnt far away, with current helping.
Three fit sailboard instructors, or whatever, who usually sail a few hours per day only need to double that. And only one in three makes it.

Has the ring of truth to me.

Minid you, I would have gone somewhere a bit more civilized (and less expensive) than Key West. ;)
Civilization is overrated. ;)

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.

Barbarism is the natural state of mankind. Civilization is unnatural. It is the whim of circumstance. And barbarism must ultimately triumph."

---Robert E. Howard, Creator of Conan the Cimmerian

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
How'd he get a chart plotter, two 12 volt house batteries, radar and AIS, tiller pilot, and all the things that we need to sail the briny these days, on a little ol' windsurfer???:eek:
His board is the new "High-Seas Navigator" model, from T.A.R.D.I.S. Manufacturing, Ltd.

·
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)
3,217 Posts
How'd he get a chart plotter, two 12 volt house batteries, radar and AIS, tiller pilot, and all the things that we need to sail the briny these days, on a little ol' windsurfer???:eek:
the Briney? there are some people who won't go on a day sail in a small lake without all that

·
Registered
140 Posts
I once saw an abandoned Cuban raft in the Gulf Stream off Miami. It was pretty clever.
They had welded together 55 gallon drums to make two pontoons and put a deck between them. There was a big straight six truck engine with transmission mounted on it. It had what looked like a home made propeller attached to the shaft and a big old 8D battery to start it.

Most of the rafts I've seen were just big blocks of Styrofoam or a couple of inner tubes lashed to a sheet of plywood. Those people must be really desperate to escape to try to cross 90 miles of open water in those things.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts