SailNet Community banner
2821 - 2840 of 3327 Posts

· Closet Powerboater
3,925 Posts
Reaction score
Stuff happens, I still make mistakes(damn it!). We remember sinking this boat as a family(I'm not going into that here... :) )
What? Why not? We, here on SailNet are usually nice, and non-judgmental when discussing a sunk boat. We will even offer our opinions on how you should have done things better (usually several each) at no additional charge.

C'mon, fess up! ;)

MedSailor

PS Thanks for the BFS story. Great one.

· Closet Powerboater
3,925 Posts
Reaction score
Yesterday I had a short but Big Freakin' Sail. :)

My friend Mike and I arranged to go sailling with the local club. The club changed things on us and only small boats (dinghys) were going to do a can race. We already had the day on our calendars and decided to just go sail around anyway. He texted me the day of and said "Winds 15-25knots predicted with rain, still want to go?" I replied "Sounds like fun to me!" :)

Despite checking NOAA, Sailflow, and a kite-surfing weather site, we got a little more than anyone predicted.... At one point, I pointed out to skipper Mike the line of dark ominous black clouds to windward that were fast approaching. We had gone out with a steady 17-24 knots of true wind and were under sail with one reef in the main and an 88% blade. Boat is a Catalina 400 (like Brian the moderator)

At the time I took this photo, I said, "I shall call this, the last photo of Mike seen alive."

Then, the clouds got worse. And closer.

I don't have a picture of what happened next, but bascally a completely opaque white wall of rain appeared and started swallowing up the landscape to windward, and then the sea in front of us. Visibility to windward quickly went from 1 mile, to a half, to 1/8 to nothing....

Mike and I (the most experienced people on the boat) conferred about the impending ass-kicking and figured we were reefed, the boat was sailling well, we had room, and we'd just let her rip and see what happens. Besides, the white wall was approaching so quickly, we didn't think we could get Reef 2 in before it hit, and we didn't want to be in the middle of reefing, when it did hit. And hit it did!

For the newbies on the boat it was "This is fun!", followed by, "ummm... is the boat supposed to heel like that?"

During the acute ****ski we saw true winds of 37knots and the suddenness with which it went from 25 to 35-37 was awesome. The boat heeled and felt a bit over powered, but nothing like a bad spinnaker broach in high winds. The boat was doing well. Still, reef 2 suddenly seemed like a really good idea. ;)

Putting in reef 2 was a nightmare. The boat has the cruiser solution of "single line reefing" whereby one line goes through the reef clew AND the reef tack, and goes all over the deck back to a cockpit winch. Guess what? It didn't work. The friction was horrendous and small amounts of sail would get sucked into the reef tack by the reef line and jam everything up. Meanwhile the sail battens flogged the port (amsteel) lazyjack to death.

Seriously, some of this lazy-man's cruising stuff just doesn't work when the ****ski hits the fanski. Yesterday's experience seriously validated my strong preference for having halyards and reefing lines AT THE MAST. (JohnEisberg I can actually see the grin on your face here) :D

Finally got reef 2 in, well enough at least, and continued sailling for another hour or so, in the SHEETING DRIVING rain with the wind being very gusty and squirrely from 25-35 true.

Then, after playing around skipper decided it was time to go in. He declared the voyage sucessful because we had broken stuff. (I really like sailing with Mike :D) Besides the beast appeared to be done having its way with us, and the weather was quickly quieting down.

Then, we were treated to the most spectacularly vivid and bright rainbow I've ever seen in my life. At one point I was shirking my duties as a deck-slave in order to take photos, for which the skipper admonished me, followed almost immediately by a call from the skipper to get his camera. ;)

Medsailor looking like a drowned rat.

Back at the dock we were treated to an awesome sunset.

This was my first sail of the season. I'd call it pretty sucessful:
We sailed.
We saw gale force winds.
Ass was kicked. (ours)
We broke stuff (somebody else's stuff, the best kind to break).;)
And we either scared off 2 newbies for life, or made lifers out of them.

Finally, my impression of the 1,000yard stare after facing the monster. I was really hard to keep a straight face while having this picture taken and I gotta say that it's really hard to try and look bad ass with rainbows in the background.:D

So, Smack. Is that good enough for a stamp?

MedSailor

· Closet Powerboater
3,925 Posts
Reaction score
Oh hell yeah!!

Freakin' awesome Med!!!!!!!!!!!!

That, my friends, is how sailing is done.
A double stamp! :eek: Thanks Smack! And since I like to give back.....Here ya' go.

When I was picking out foulweather gear, I kinda' had a feeling we might be in for an ass kicking, so I dressed for war. But under the heavy duty foulies, I threw this old thing on. Look familiar?

"Arrrrr!!!" (that's not really my pirate face. I was just blinded by the sun ;) )

MedSailor

· Closet Powerboater
3,925 Posts
Reaction score
I have to put in a plug for my new phone, which I am in love with. Why? Because it's a smart phone and it's submersible! All the photos taken in my BFS report above were with this phone's camera and believe you me, it. Got. Wet. Sure, there are some great cases for phones these days that make them waterproof, but this ensures you're protected from the wet, at all times, without the clunky case.

My previous phone was a Samsung sumbersible phone, so they are not new to the submersible phone market. Trust me, I stress tested the old one. ;) They also retained my favorite feature from the last one. A flashlight built into the phone that can be accessed with one button press from a button on the outside of the phone. No needing to mess around loading up an flashlight app. The light is always there for instant access. I know it doesn't sound like much, but once you have this feature, you'll never want to be without it again.

Here are the specs on the Samsung Galaxy S4 Active:
Samsung Galaxy S4 Active specs

Take note of the "active" part at the end. It's basically the same phone as the S4 but some rubber gasketing and other changes mean that cases and holsters may not be compatible. Chargers and such are compatible with the more widely sold S4.

What is a phone review doing on the BFS thread? Well if you don't photograph it and post it, it didn't happen! You have to have a camera that will survive your BFS! Also, something as simple as putting your local Coast Guard station's dispatch phone number on speed dial can turn this puppy into a piece of safety equipment. Fall overboard while sailing solo? Call the CG from your phone. Remember to make a voice activated shortcut for this number though, because the touchpad doesn't work well when soaked. For example, my voice activation shortcut for calling the coast guard is, "Heeeeeelp! Shaaark!" :D

MedSailor

· Registered
25,122 Posts
Reaction score
....Because it's a smart phone and it's submersible!.....
Cool phone for sure. The specs says its rated IP67. The 7 stands for water resistant to 1 meter. The photo of the snorkelor would seem a bit deceptive by the manufacturer.

In my personal experience, water tight ratings are only reliable to be about half their depth rating. Behind that was a crap shoot.

Nevertheless, great phone for a boat, where simply getting wet isn't an issue.

· Closet Powerboater
3,925 Posts
Reaction score
Cool phone for sure. The specs says its rated IP67. The 7 stands for water resistant to 1 meter. The photo of the snorkelor would seem a bit deceptive by the manufacturer.

In my personal experience, water tight ratings are only reliable to be about half their depth rating. Behind that was a crap shoot.

Nevertheless, great phone for a boat, where simply getting wet isn't an issue.
Interesting, my experience says they're conservative. My pentax optio camera and samsung Xplorer B2100 are both devices that I take with me when swiming, surfing, falling overboard etc.

Having a waterproof phone could save having a dead one for those unexpected BFS's. This one didn't give us all a lot of warning and maybe some of the other folks wouldn't have put on their waterproof cases. I know I was suprized at just how soaked the phone was in my pocket when I pulled it out. I've had more than one "water resistant" device die from being in a damp bag as well.

Also, the phone has already paid for itself one other time. My 2 year old spilled an entire glass of milk onto it. Not exactly the kind of think that makes for an impressive story, but the phone lived!

MedSailor

· Banned
17,447 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #2,833 ·
Had a GREAT weekend at the boat! Spent Saturday working on several projects - including the water tank - which I'll write up in my "Million Questions" thread...then the boys and I took her out this morning for our very first time on our own (just me and the boys - no crew). Gusting to 25 knots - and she handled like a dream (video soon). And the boys were perfect helping to crew and helping when we got back to the dock.

For me, this is what happiness is all about. I can't wait to take her beyond the jetties for the first time this summer.

Woohoo!

· Kynntana (Freedom 38)
976 Posts
Reaction score
For me, this is what happiness is all about. I can't wait to take her beyond the jetties for the first time this summer.

Woohoo!
Woohoo, is right :) Maybe it's the newness of it all, but I am filled with this joy, too, when I sail. I don't have any pictures, so here's just a synopsis from this past weekend. On Saturday, I was in the Singlehand Sailing Society's (SSS) 'Round the Rocks' race on San Francisco Bay. It was 19.2 nm starting near Berkeley; then around Alcatraz Island, Harding Rock and Angel Island; down wind to Red Rock and The Brothers; with the finish at Richmond Yacht Club. This was my 4th singlehand race. I was a minute late to the start with 9 boats in my division. Winds were gusting to 25 knots (consistent 18-20), with big chop and a strong ebb for the first half. Right around the Richmond Bridge, the wind died to 6 knots and we were fighting a strong flood, which does some squirrely things next to those big rocks. I stayed the night at the Richmond YC, then singlehanded back across the bay on Sunday, with winds again up to 23 knots, again no reef, keeping pace the whole way with a barge heading to Oakland. No instruments were on -- so had no idea how fast I was going -- just enjoying the moment. Stern tied into my slip. The only snafu was forgetting to open the gate to step off with the spring line. No foul though. It's such a great feeling!

· Banned
17,447 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #2,836 · (Edited)
We had an awesome time in the UK. 5 days in London, then another 5 traveling around Scotland. The latter blew us away. It qualifies for posting here because we stayed on the small island of Kerrera - a 5 minute ferry ride from the exquisite town of Oban. Kerrera had a really nice marina with some beautiful boats, as well as a couple of houses, one of which we'd rented. Of course, I walked the docks a bit...

...and was invited aboard a handsome HR 36 CC, after helping the group load some of their provisions...including some fine whiskey which they graciously shared. Great bunch of people up from London for a week's cruise around the islands.

As for Oban - I'm sailing back there. No doubt. That place is heaven.

We traveled over to Iona, then it was over to Edinburgh for some kilts and a climb up Arthur's Seat with the boys....

Okay, the last one is in no way sailing related - but it was freakin' awesome.

Scotland...we love ye!

· Registered
25,122 Posts
Reaction score
Smack, glad you had a nice trip with the boys. I'm about a quarter Scot and traveled their nearly 30 years ago. One of the most beautiful places in the world and I'm dying to go back. I found the accents so strong that it was hard to understand the King's english. What a great place it would be to sail to.

p.s. I'm a Macallan guy myself.

· Registered
254 Posts
Reaction score
Glad you liked Scotland! Oban on a sunny day, you were truly blessed. It was one of my favorite places to go when I was a Kid. Note to self: My son is the only one in the family who has not been back to the old country yet, need to do something about that.

2821 - 2840 of 3327 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.