SailNet Community banner
3281 - 3300 of 3327 Posts

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
I don't think it counts as a BFS since it happened on a small city lake, but we had a fun day last Sunday.

A low pressure system was moving through and the airport (which is nearby) showed winds around 20 knots with gusts to 36 knots.

My wife and I went over to the lake to get some lunch before sailing. As we ate we watched a Montgomery 17 get knocked down a couple times far enough to dip the spreaders, and we saw a Hobie 16 capsize and have a bit of trouble righting.

Just absolutely freaky wind. As in, the main and jib would fill from different directions. At one point I watched my windex rotate completely around the boat, more than 360º. This lake always has fluky winds, being a city lake with lots of trees and buildings around, but this was the freakiest I've seen it.

We put a reef in the main and used our smallest jib and had fun, but it was a lot of work since we were constantly changing direction and trim. My wife compared it to a cooking show where the chef would "put a roast in at 350, change it to 125, back to 500, put in a frying pan for two minutes, then throw it back in the oven with a bag of ice and put in on a cleaning cycle."

But we got up above hull speed and left a nice wake a couple times, and made an excellent dock return under sail.

We went back to the restaurant for a post-sail beer and to watch the fun. I have an extreme zoom camera that we used that to watch a Flying Scot on the other side of the lake completely fail to make progress to windward, and eventually get stuck in the trees (this lake is deep right up to the edge). We watched them tie it off to the trees and leave.

When one of the 36 knot gusts hit a kayak right in front of us capsized! She wasn't wearing a PFD and was unable to re-board her kayak, but she was close enough to shore to swim it back. I asked if she was cold (the water is chilly and the air temp was around 70º) but she seemed mostly concerned that she lost her glass of wine.

Good times.

·
Banned
17,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,285 ·
I don't think it counts as a BFS since it happened on a small city lake, but we had a fun day last Sunday.

A low pressure system was moving through and the airport (which is nearby) showed winds around 20 knots with gusts to 36 knots.

My wife and I went over to the lake to get some lunch before sailing. As we ate we watched a Montgomery 17 get knocked down a couple times far enough to dip the spreaders, and we saw a Hobie 16 capsize and have a bit of trouble righting.

Just absolutely freaky wind. As in, the main and jib would fill from different directions. At one point I watched my windex rotate completely around the boat, more than 360º. This lake always has fluky winds, being a city lake with lots of trees and buildings around, but this was the freakiest I've seen it.

We put a reef in the main and used our smallest jib and had fun, but it was a lot of work since we were constantly changing direction and trim. My wife compared it to a cooking show where the chef would "put a roast in at 350, change it to 125, back to 500, put in a frying pan for two minutes, then throw it back in the oven with a bag of ice and put in on a cleaning cycle."

But we got up above hull speed and left a nice wake a couple times, and made an excellent dock return under sail.

We went back to the restaurant for a post-sail beer and to watch the fun. I have an extreme zoom camera that we used that to watch a Flying Scot on the other side of the lake completely fail to make progress to windward, and eventually get stuck in the trees (this lake is deep right up to the edge). We watched them tie it off to the trees and leave.

When one of the 36 knot gusts hit a kayak right in front of us capsized! She wasn't wearing a PFD and was unable to re-board her kayak, but she was close enough to shore to swim it back. I asked if she was cold (the water is chilly and the air temp was around 70º) but she seemed mostly concerned that she lost her glass of wine.

Good times.
The body of water means nothing in relation to the BFS. So, let's do a rundown...

Freak winds over 25? Check.
Boats falling over all over the place? Check.
Controlled run out and back with a docking under sail? Check.
Wife making cooking comparisons to how awesome the BFS is? Check.
Booze? Check.

Oh hell yeah!

·
Banned
17,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,294 ·
Most recent vid in our Carib Trip series...

We FINALLY make Florida! After crossing Mobile Bay and getting back into the ICW we make our way to Palafox Pier Marina in Pensacola. We tie up and survey our hot mess of a sailboat, then decide to blow off the chores for some food, sand, sun, and fun. Who wants to work in a place like this?

·
Registered
372 Posts
So another contribution. No it's not that big of a deal all things considered, but Pamlico Sound in 25+ winds is a washing machine. Taking waves on the stern quarter running full genoa, no main. My smaller sail is a handkerchief and didn't want to go forward to change it at that point, kept it sheeted out to dump half the air. My wife is such a trooper! This is on a 23 foot Spirit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,108 Posts
Most recent vid in our Carib Trip series...

We FINALLY make Florida! After crossing Mobile Bay and getting back into the ICW we make our way to Palafox Pier Marina in Pensacola. We tie up and survey our hot mess of a sailboat, then decide to blow off the chores for some food, sand, sun, and fun. Who wants to work in a place like this?

Good work.
It's real stuff.
Nice kids/family. It's cool to get their perspective which can be way different than an adult/parent.
It's cool that you only own 2 t-shirts...
It bothered me that you haven't really involved the heeler dogs by properly introducing them, and getting their take on this whole thing.
I'd leave dealing with creosote/tar for when punishment is needed. Good decision.
The off-boat stuff goes slow and is more of a personal benefit to you and family.
In FL, you might want to cover/drape those water/gas/diesel containers as the sun can turn them to dust in short time...a suggestion.
I don't see how you can read your wind instruments when they are so far forward.

·
Banned
17,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,300 · (Edited)
Here's the next one in the Carib Trip series...

We leave the wonderful town of Pensacola and head offshore for a run across to Panama City. We lose the AutoPilot and handsteer for 15 hours. We run the entrance in the pitch black and drop the anchor at 0200. Boat work commences.

3281 - 3300 of 3327 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.