SailNet Community banner
3301 - 3320 of 3327 Posts

·
Banned
17,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,302 · (Edited)
Good work.
It's real stuff.
Nice kids/family. It's cool to get their perspective which can be way different than an adult/parent.
It's cool that you only own 2 t-shirts...
It bothered me that you haven't really involved the heeler dogs by properly introducing them, and getting their take on this whole thing.
I'd leave dealing with creosote/tar for when punishment is needed. Good decision.
The off-boat stuff goes slow and is more of a personal benefit to you and family.
In FL, you might want to cover/drape those water/gas/diesel containers as the sun can turn them to dust in short time...a suggestion.
I don't see how you can read your wind instruments when they are so far forward.
Thanks Reg.

It's been hard getting the boys to open up on camera. But they finally started getting into it a bit more as we went along. I'm doing these videos mostly for them - for their memories...and for mine. We have such a great time sailing together. It's really a special thing. Just the 3 of us having each others' backs. Best thing I've ever done.

And you're right about the off-boat stuff - but like I said above, I really could care less if people aren't into it. As you say, it's for our benefit first and foremost. If a few others enjoy it - cool. If not - meh.

As for the t-shirts, I've seen these YouTube channels where the people are in perfect clothes every shot. That ain't us. White linen does very poorly with sweat, bird crap, mustard, and diesel. We're blue-collar (or wrinkled, stained t-shirt) cruisers. We just have a hard time giving a damn.

I did cover the jerry cans when we left the boat, but I don't want anything that could get loose while they are on the rail. They're relatively cheap - so I can replace them when they get too pasty.

It really isn't a problem with the instruments. Maybe the camera makes them look further away than they are. Even so, I have all my instrumentation available on our iPad chartplotter as well - so no issues.

·
Banned
17,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,303 ·
Sorry about opening an old thread, but I just saw this, and registered so I could post. I was the Primary Driver on this boat for 1-1/2 years when it was racing San Francisco Bay.
And yes, I had to deal with MacGregor Bashers there and then as well.
In 1990 the boat had been heavily modified . . . people are talking here about the 9' draft, hell it had a 9' rudder when I drove it. The keel had been replaced with a 12' blade with a torpedo at the bottom.
Most significantly, the rig had been replaced with much taller, bendy, fractional rig.
My own 26 footer could have fit on Zeus' foredeck.
I joined the crew just before the 1991 SF to Catalina race . . . I think, I am old and retired now, and that was a long time ago.
That was the 25 race - for 25 hours it blew 25kts or higher in 25' seas. Yeah. It was also the only time I drove a Sailboat at 25kts!
We completed the nearly 400 mile race in just under 36 hours, one hour off the record at the time.
During the 25 hour blow, out of a crew of 9, there were only three of us who could handle the boat . . . Drive till you can't, sleep, wake up and drive again.
There were also four Coast Guard Rescues that night, it was a blow.
You know, on a 40' boat, surfing in high seas, you avoid running into the wave ahead, for fear of stalling and spinning out, on Zeus, I used the bow running lights to follow the hollow in the trough. Accelerating upon acceleration, watching the knotmeter climb above 20, watching the rooster tail soaking the boom, listening to what sounded like a combination of fire hoses and tympani, I punched into back the leading wave. I watched from the helm as the boat past through the wave 3' - 4' of water rolling down the deck. I can't imagine what it sounded like below, but the owner rushed up the companionway ladder just in time to have the wave break over his head and pour into the cabin. He turned and glared at me, then looked at the knotmeter, going back up from 22.75kt, turned back to me shaking his head, saying, "You're Reckless", and went back below.
So, you can trash MacGregor65s all you want, all I'll say is, "how fast is your boat?"
And I'll wipe away a tear, when I see the end of a Great Boat.
Rick McCamy
Oh hell yeah!!

·
Banned
17,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,304 ·
Next episode of our #CaribTrip...

We spend a couple more days at the Panama City Marina prepping the boat for our offshore run. We take you on a tour of a very lived-in Dawn Treader, then hit the beach for some shenanigans!

·
Banned
17,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,306 ·
We start our multi-day offshore run from Panama City to St. Pete. Just a few hours in we get hit by a massive thunderstorm - leaving behind big, confused seas. Some water over the bow and a sketchy pitch-black trip to the pointy end at 0300 - but it's absolutely beautiful out there!

·
Banned
17,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,310 ·
I live and sail in the Tampa area. I just reef. Why the motor? There is nothing to hit or avoid out there. Was it just about forward progress?

Are you in Tampa now?
It was about being conservative. You saw the leading edge of that system. There was no question there was power in it. How much? No way to know.

So I made decisions based on the following...

1. As you can see, my crew consists of 2 young boys and a dog. And I wanted them down below and safe. I don't know what size boat you have, but sails on a 40' boat carry a tremendous amount of power. If that wind would have gotten into the 50s (or more)...which it very easily could have...well, let's just say I'm very comfortable with my call. I don't EVER want my boys (or me) on deck in 40+ wrestling sails because I underestimated that power. And I can always very easily put more sail out when and if I want.

2. To your point, I didn't want to lose too much progress as the storm was coming from the east - where we were headed. Motoring kept us where we were - and comfortable and in control - until it passed. As it was, that storm delayed us for about 5-6 hours. But I was perfectly cool with that. Nothing broke - we were safe - and we kept going.

Also, avoiding collisions out there was not at all my concern. I'm not sure why you think that would matter. Anyway, you should sail your boat exactly the way you feel best. That's what I did.

No I'm not in Tampa.

·
Banned
1,420 Posts
The hitting something comment was about starting the motor, nothing to have to actively avoid.

Discretion is the better part of valor, no problem dropping sails for safety. I was just asking why.

I asked if you were in Tampa because I am an hour north of there. I was going to invite y'all up to go out on the *cough* *cough* power boat to go scalloping and up to the springs to swim, etc...

·
Banned
17,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,313 ·
The hitting something comment was about starting the motor, nothing to have to actively avoid.

Discretion is the better part of valor, no problem dropping sails for safety. I was just asking why.

I asked if you were in Tampa because I am an hour north of there. I was going to invite y'all up to go out on the *cough* *cough* power boat to go scalloping and up to the springs to swim, etc...
Thanks ian. I appreciate the thought. Our boat is currently in the Ft. Myers area and we are back in Texas right now.

·
Registered
1981 Endeavour 32
1,090 Posts
Looks like you guys are having an awesome time, Smack....goodonya for having this kind of adventure with your boys and thanks for sharing the vids!

Reactions: smackdaddy

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
First, it was a thunderstorm. We weren't "expecting" anything. We prepared for violence.

What would you have done?
That is what we do. T-storms are very different from fronts and other harder weather. Particularly off Florida. One never can predict wind direction or strength in these, and sometimes both change instantly and violently. We just drop the sails and start the engines. Sometimes we end up just raising the sails again soon because nothing big happens, but we never regret the tactic.

We learned this caution only after our second or third time caught in **** conditions with 180* wind shifts, slamming sails, blinding rain. Now, the worse we suffer is having to raise the sails again after the storm passes.

Mark

3301 - 3320 of 3327 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.