SailNet Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Upon returning from Thanksgiving vacation today I found a marathon blocking the way to my apartment. In attempting to get around it I drove almost to the marina. Since I was close and there was a good stiff breeze in the 20s I decided what the heck? May as well get in a quick sail this evening.

The water looked like it had a good chop to it, but nothing to serious. Turns out the waves were pretty big and Zippey was plowing through them.

I managed to shoot a quick video on my phone, though the waves got calmer when the camera came out :S. I am not sure how to embed videos here, but I posted it to the ship log on my website.

Ben Lobaugh Online » Big Wave Sailing in Elliot Bay

I know the waves are not big as compared to the open ocean, but Zippey got tossed about pretty good. It was a fun experience. Makes me even more confident in the quality of our boats, and glad I chose to purchase my beautiful Zippey

·
Registered
213 Posts
Unless you like frostbite sailing, you won't be going out for awhile. It's going to be down in the low thirties, high 20's for a while.

Looks like a typical winter day on Elliot Bay. Actually a little bit of sail would have steadied the boat and made the ride a little smoother.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I doubt the sail up would have made it more stable as I would not have been able to go straight into the wind.

And I will continue to go out a lot ;). The only part of "fair weather sailing" I ascribe to is not sailing in the rain. I do not care how cold it is. I think the coldest I have sailed in is 12F. Just bring out the cold weather gear :)

·
Banned
17,467 Posts
Very cool, blo. What's the boat?

Get those sails up so I can throw you a BFS, dude!

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Very cool, blo. What's the boat?

Get those sails up so I can throw you a BFS, dude!
The boat is a beautiful North American Spirit 23. I need to get some pics with her new paint job, but here is the general take http://ben.lobaugh.net/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/Shmidt1.jpg

I had not heard of BFS before but I am loving it! On the reading list now for sure :). Some epic adventures on there. Here is the biggest adventure I have had so far Ben Lobaugh Online » Scotch on the rocks

·
Banned
17,467 Posts
Very nice boat. And very nice Scotch!

I liked the vid. Isn't it always the case that you leave things in someone's hands for 5 minutes and it all goes to hell. BTW - I was in almost the exact same situation a few years ago on our previous boat (a C27). It didn't get quite as desperate as yours - but still...rocks suck.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Mike + neat scotch + boat + rocks nearby == &&#*$*(%(%($*
Yeah, rocks suck, but so does drinking and operating a boat. Some one needs to stay sober to prevent things like this from happening. Glad you got her off a lee shore without damage or anyone hurt. Scary.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, rocks suck, but so does drinking and operating a boat. Some one needs to stay sober to prevent things like this from happening.
Nobody on my boat ever gets drunk unless the boat is securely tied to the dock. If they did they would not be invited back

1 - 9 of 9 Posts