SailNet Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Mondofromredondo
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought my recent sail in 40kt winds may be of some interest.
Recently sailed from Catalina, California to Redondo Beach which is a 25 mile sail. We were the only people willing to risk the white knuckled sail.
With 2 reefs in the main and flying my staysail in 40 kt winds gusting to 50 we had 20 seas breaking into the cockpit filling the cockpit up past our knees the Crealock ate up these seas far better than I did. The winds and seas were off our beam so we were rolling hard but the boat tracked beautifully under command of our Raymarine autopilot the entire trip. Got back to the harbor and couldn't put her into her slip as the winds were to big. The kind folks of King Harbor Yacht Club invited us to tie up to their upwind side tie and invited us up to hear our story as well as share come coldies with us.
I'm in no hurry to do that again but these boats are built like tanks. Couldn't be happer than to own a Bill Crealock classic !!!

·
Registered
145 Posts
Couldn't be happer than to own a Bill Crealock classic !!!
Hi Mondo,
What model do you own and how long have you been sailing her?
Nice to have proper cockpit drains, sounds like they did their job.
I'm not sure that I would venture out with 40 knots gusting to 50!!:eek: I don't think my sailmaker would approve.

·
Mondofromredondo
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Big winds

Steve,
I have a 1988 34' PSC. Not all lines are led aft so thats definetly an improvement on my list of to-do's.
After seeing how much of a difference a double reefed main and a stay sail make in terms of pressure on the rig I'd say the seas were the main issue as at 40 kts didn't cause the boat to heel nearly as much as I'd thought. The most important thing however is to really look carefully to be sure to avoid chaffe on any sheets. I couldn't believe how quickly the cockpit scuppers drained the cockpit. Sure gives u a nice warm feeling when your no longer standing in 12" of water. I purchased "Charity Rose" just over a year ago and have been wanting to experience heavy weather sailing as someday I hope to make some offshore passages. Better to try the heavy weather sailing when you have our good freinds in the Coast Guard within 20 miles versus several hundred or thousand away.

Keith
PSC 34

1 - 4 of 4 Posts