SailNet Community banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Tundra Down
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering moving my squirrel cage blower to make room for a relocated battery. The blower is currently in the space under the quarter birth directly in line with the engine ( the deepest and widest spot) outside the "engine room", mounted directly to and through the bulkhead. The intake is directly behind and below the engine. That isn't my concern.

How much would it affect the cfm being moved by the blower from the intake to the discharge if the location of the blower along that route is changed?

Now a 2' intake run and a 10' run to discharge. I would increase the intake run by 4' and shorten the discharge by the same amount if I relocated the blower to the aft end of the space under the quarter birth. It would seem that with the total run being the same the volume of air getting moved wouldn't change?

In the current location the blower clutters up some valuable real estate.

Down

·
Registered
5,067 Posts
There will be minimal difference in volumetric flow.

The cfm difference will be based on the small differences in pressure between the outlet and inlet. Those differences will be inches of water (pressure) difference with the result of insignificant differences (based on the 'perfect gas laws'). If there were significant changes in length it would make a difference but not an 8ft. change.
But like any 'pumping' system, 'best practice' is always put the pump/blower as close to the 'suction' inlet as possible .... when pumping gases the 'actual' CFM pumped will be more in direct proportion to the higher the pressure in the pipe/duct.

·
Tundra Down
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
There will be minimal difference in volumetric flow.

The cfm difference will be based on the small differences in pressure between the outlet and inlet. Those differences will be inches of water (pressure) difference with the result of insignificant differences (based on the 'perfect gas laws'). If there were significant changes in length it would make a difference but not an 8ft. change.
But like any 'pumping' system, 'best practice' is always put the pump/blower as close to the 'suction' inlet as possible .... when pumping gases the 'actual' CFM pumped will be more in direct proportion to the higher the pressure in the pipe/duct.
Thanks Rich,

The other option is to replace the squirrel cage with an In line blower. The squirrel cage seems to be the better choice. I could add a second, in line, blower? I could increase the diameter of the inlet hose but it would shrink back down at the blower?

I think I will move the blower. Ugh! Another mod. Move the blower. Move the batteries around. Build a secure location for them. Wish I had seen this coming when I built the current secure platforms. I will be able to move the "heavy" tool box from its location under the port cabin seat to the batteries "old" location. It will be easily moved out of the way when necessary. O-well! I DO NEED THE ROOM MOVING ONE OF THE BATTERIES WILL PROVIDE. I can't get my shoulders into the aft engine space with all the batteries secured in their current operating locations. Disconnecting and lifting a 75# battery out of the way to adjust the packing nut "comfortably" is not a good option. A boat with an engine room next time!

Down

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.