SailNet Community banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Telstar 28
992 Posts
Bilgekote is a paint. If you have a wet bilge, most paints will let some water through and will blister and peel... This is why you really should use Interprotect 2000E, instead of a paint. It can withstand being submersed for long periods of time with no ill effects.

Interprotect doesn't need a primer to be applied to raw fiberglass. Just wash the fiberglass well, de-wax/de-grease it, then sand it lightly.

·
Telstar 28
992 Posts
Wow, thank you all for the help and input!
It sounds like bilgekote is an acceptable product. But, I think I will go with the interprotect 2000E just to be safe. They recommend 2-3 coats for above water application and 4-5 for below water, so I am guessing that I should probably go with the 4-5 coats.
No, you shouldn't need to use Epiglass resin as a base coat.
As well, they say that you need to first use epiglass resin as a base coat before using the 2000E, is this necessary? I am using unwaxed resin.
No, you can paint directly on top of the IP2KE. It is actually used as a primer in many cases. :)

Finally, do you need to overcoat the 2000E with another type of paint to seal it up? Or can you just leave it bare? Thanks again!
Sorry about all the questions, this has been a HUGE job, and I only want to do it once, as well, I have been very precarious and making sure to have everything looking good, so I don't want to muck it up with the paint :p
Remember, wash the surface, de-grease/de-wax and then sand. :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.