SailNet Community banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all!
I am new to the forum, I did a google search about bilge painting and found an amazing wealth of information on this forum. The one thread I found was almost a year old so I thought I had better start a new one.

I have just about finished the final layers of glass on a 300+ hour total transom, mounts and bilge rebuild. What I read in the other thread is that you should not use the interlux bilgekote as it will flake off and make a huge mess. I also read that the best option (apart from gel coating) is to use interprotect 2000E, it however seemed like this brought up a bit of a disagreement between the bilgekote and 2000E, so I am unclear on what to use. Because there is no existing gel coat in most areas in the bilge do I need to first use interlux epiglass? If so how many coats? How many coats of the 2000E do I need?

Any opinions are very appreciated
Thanks!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wow, thank you all for the help and input!
It sounds like bilgekote is an acceptable product. But, I think I will go with the interprotect 2000E just to be safe. They recommend 2-3 coats for above water application and 4-5 for below water, so I am guessing that I should probably go with the 4-5 coats. As well, they say that you need to first use epiglass resin as a base coat before using the 2000E, is this necessary? I am using unwaxed resin. Finally, do you need to overcoat the 2000E with another type of paint to seal it up? Or can you just leave it bare? Thanks again!
Sorry about all the questions, this has been a HUGE job, and I only want to do it once, as well, I have been very precarious and making sure to have everything looking good, so I don't want to muck it up with the paint :p

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.