SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a narrow bilge and as a result the float switch is unable to get to the very bottom of the bilge, although the bilge pump hose will. As a result, the bilge pump will pump more frequently unless I manually pump it once a day or so.

I need something to make the bilge pump run for 10-15 seconds after the float switch comes back down. What is the thing I need?

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
I installed one of these this season. It's floatless and has worked well so far. The base you see in the pic is removable to fit in tighter spaces. It stands about 3" tall, but it is about half as wide and shorter than a traditional float switch.

It wires in just like a regular float switch. However, of the two wires coming off the switch, it matters which goes on the pump side and which on the battery side. If you screw it up, you just flip them around. Test it with water.

Amazon.com: Johnson Pumps Of America 36303 Marine 20 Amp Ultima Auto Bilge Control Switch: [email protected]@[email protected]@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/[email protected]@[email protected]@41EMan8ctfL

·
Weekend Sailor
133 Posts
The pump description states:
Ultima Switch New digital technology uses the patented Mirus field effect detector cells producing mircoelectrical[sic] fields that detect disruptions caused by water and fluids. Detector cells are totally sealed are never in contact with the water, will not corrode and are not affected by oil or foreign debris.
I had a problem with ice in the bilge last winter. The float triggered, but due to icing, it never turned off. (Ran the battery down, changed the ph, and froze a battery, which in turn cracked the battery case.) I wonder if this pump-switch would treat ice as a solid and not engage the pump.

Anyone have any detailed knowledge about this device that they could share?

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That might work. Thanks. Still though, I think a delay switch of some kind might be better because even getting to the bottom of the bilge with the float doesn't keep the pump from going off every time there is a little but of water.

·
Master Mariner
8,235 Posts
If I remember correctly the Rule auto bilge pump units do run a few seconds after the water is gone. These pumps cycle on and off without the need of water to activate them, but when water is present they will continue to run until the bilge is empty again.
As for a delay switch, I'd be very careful making your bilge pump system complicated. Anything added could become a liability if it failed.

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
Anyone have any detailed knowledge about this device that they could share?
I have one of those. I don't believe there is any delay before it shuts off. There are two small circles on the front of the box which is the location of the two sensors (capacitance I think). The pump will turn on when the level reaches the upper circle and shuts off when it goes below the lower one. The literature claims it will not activate with fuel, only with water. You can test it with your fingers on the circles, and the pump stops immediately when you remove your finger from the lower one.

·
Living the dream
347 Posts
I have the johnson pump that runs for a few seconds every minute or so and keeps going if water is detected. I believe it senses motor load so it does such out as much water as it can. I've had one in my engine bilge where it is exposed to grease and aside from a clean every 6 months our so which is easily noticed as the pump runs for longer than it's few seconds, I'm happy with how it works.

Now, back on topic, if I wanted a delayed switch off, I believe there are relays available to do just that. They have an inbuilt adjustable delay timer. Not sure of how much they cost though. If it was me I'd swap for the small sensing pump and use the original as the secondary.

Sent from my GT-P1000 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
4,601 Posts
Automotive supply shops have a delay for headlights.I bought a bunch years ago. Never used them for pumps.But cat's ass for vent fans in the head. Adjustable from a few seconds to 3 minutes.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I have a similar problem on my Tartan 27. The bilge is split by the centerboard trunk, making it very narrow. I've been looking for a pump that has a hose fitting for the uptake, figuring I'll mount it as low as I can, then have the hose reach to the bottom. I'd use this as a secondary pump, since I have an Rule with a float switch already mounted. I would manually pump out the last bit and have a second pump for when I really need it (and hopefully don't)

Has anyone seen an pump like this?

Thanks

Skywalker

·
Registered
586 Posts
I have a similar problem on my Tartan 27. The bilge is split by the centerboard trunk, making it very narrow. I've been looking for a pump that has a hose fitting for the uptake, figuring I'll mount it as low as I can, then have the hose reach to the bottom....
Thanks
Skywalker
I'm interested in the same concept as Skywalker. I see difficulties in the pump running long enough to lift the water to the pump impeller. Perhaps the auto pump would work.

I have had a auto-on pump for years, kicks on every two minutes and if it senses water it pumps. I use a solar panel to make up for the slight battery drain it causes. Works great, with no float switch to jam on debris. When it pumps down to just foam it continues to pump for a few more seconds then stops.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I have a similar problem on my Tartan 27. The bilge is split by the centerboard trunk, making it very narrow. I've been looking for a pump that has a hose fitting for the uptake, figuring I'll mount it as low as I can, then have the hose reach to the bottom. I'd use this as a secondary pump, since I have an Rule with a float switch already mounted. I would manually pump out the last bit and have a second pump for when I really need it (and hopefully don't)

Has anyone seen an pump like this?

Thanks

Skywalker
Why not use one of the pumps that they use to cycle water for live wells they usually have attachments for tubing or install one of these with a tube into the bilge

Whale Marine - Products

Whale also makes this that can get into small places

Whale Marine - Products

I have the same problem on my irwin 28 around my engine i have a very small bilge

·
Registered
168 Posts
Abuse,

Thanks, that's another great option.

I just finished scraping and painting my trusty A4, so cleaning the bilge is next on the to do list. Once I'm up to my elbows, I'll take accurate measurements and see which product makes the most sense.

Skywalker

·
Registered
168 Posts
The bilge on my T27 is under the engine, too. After all these years, the one thing I have not done is pull the engine.

I'd love to put a drain down there, too. It would be helpful now for my cleaning and drying out the bilge. I'm reluctant to guesstimate the exact location from the outside to put a fitting in, but maybe I'll take a shot.

Either way, I still need to get the water out.

SKywalker

·
Closet Powerboater
3,925 Posts
Whale's BE9006 float switch has no moving parts, is very small, and has a 30 second delay.
Whale Marine - Products

+1 for this switch. Trust me, I'm a recovering wooden boat owner. I have feild tested every make/model/size of pump and switch on the market. This is the best one by far I've found yet.

MedSailor

1 - 20 of 42 Posts