SailNet Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Mostly lurk here as I am lake sailer. Have learned alot from you folks. Here is the question. My 21 foot clipper marine does not have a bilge pump and now I am leaving boat in water when I can. If cockpit drain clogs up rain water can make its way into boat. So, where are the thru holes usually placed? Out of the transom looks very doable (in water). How high? etc.

thanks

Dan

·
Old as Dirt!
3,488 Posts
Hello all,

Mostly lurk here as I am lake sailer. Have learned alot from you folks. Here is the question. My 21 foot clipper marine does not have a bilge pump and now I am leaving boat in water when I can. If cockpit drain clogs up rain water can make its way into boat. So, where are the thru holes usually placed? Out of the transom looks very doable (in water). How high? etc.

thanks

Dan
Dan...

The bilge pump discharge thru-hull should be placed in the transom whenever possible and, ideally, high enough that it will never be submerged. The hose to the thru-hull should be looped above the thru-hull fitting so that there is a "down hill" run to the fitting. Ideally, one should add an anti-siphon valve at the top of the loop. On your boat a modest diaphragm pump will be adequate and will, itself, prevent back-flow on the inboard side of the hose loop from running back into the bilge. Be sure to add a "strum box" to the intake side of the hose to avoid blockage of the line by debris that may collect in the bilge.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts