SailNet Community banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The bilge on our boat collects water from rain down the sailtrack, nothing serious but it does fill up one isolated bilge compartment when we get a good soaking. I have a Jabsco belt driven diaphragm pump that works well, but it is not automatic and hose is not mounted in the bilge, it is free to move from one bilge compartment to another if needed. So after a good rain I go out to the boat and hold the hose in the filled compartment while I hold the manual switch for the pump. A couple of minutes and its done. I was thinking it would be nice to have a small automatic Rule pump to handle this pump out, but I could not figure out how to add another hose to the above the water line thru hull without having to worry about water coming back down another path. Then I thought, if the Jabsco is not running then water should just flow thru it. I tried that with a hose and sure enough it works. So, I should be able to leave a small automatic Rule pump in this bilge and connect its output to the existing input line to the Jabsco. When it collects water the Rule will kick on and pump the water out thru the Jabsco pump to the thru-hull. And when (if? hopefully never) I need the higher capacity Jabsco in another compartment I can just disconnect that line from the Rule pump and run the Jabsco as usual. Anyone see a problem with this?

thanks,
Ron

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, Thanks.

I was wondering about check valves, but was not sure how many were needed, but it makes sense that the Jabsco has an output check valve already. It looks like the Rule needs a separate line anyway. The specs indicate that the discharge line needs to be continuously running upwards from the pump and check valves are NOT recommended. Also, it it not really automatic, it runs every couple of minutes to see if it meets resistance rather than senses water level. Maybe I will hook up a water witch switch to the Jabsco and anchor the hose in the bilge instead.

Ron

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
York,
You probably are right. I have a mast boot so the leak is pretty much limited to the track. If someone made a rubber 'thingy' that plugged the sail track that would be convenient. I don't like the idea of silicone, but it really only needs to be just above the boot, to let the water exit before entering the boat. I should give it a try.

thanks,
Ron

1 - 3 of 3 Posts