SailNet Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I am replacing the bilge pump system and thru hulls on my boat and need some advice and or thoughts. I know all about back siphoning and the need to have a riser loop and anti siphon vent but have no room in the boat to put in such an assembly. What to do?!!

This is a small boat, a 1985 gloucester 20, with an interior layout very akin to say a Precision 21. With out cutting holes in the inner pan and hanging a vented loop/valve in the V birth I am curious what a good solution would be. I am not so sure that this is common on smaller boats where space is a premium. Also, well aware that a one way check valve is a terrible idea so thats out.

The thru hulls (one for sink, the other for bilge discharge) are under the sink to port and are about 4-6 inches above the waterline (not ideal) so certainly submerged on a tack. Being under the sink, there is limited space to put a loop of any capacity on the bilge line from the pump and as one would image no matter what you did under the sink it wouldn't be above the water line on a tack unless I miraculously learn to sail without heeling. lol.

The old routing was a disaster waiting to happen I fear, with the hose going directly down and straight into the bilge with no rise what so ever. I am scared of back siphoning and sinking.

Thoughts on what to do or perhaps some folks can chime in about the systems they use on smaller boats with limited space?

Thanks,

-G20

·
Registered
678 Posts
Are you adding manual auto or both. The proper place for the bilge discharge is in the cockpit right about where your feet go so when it goes off you know its going off :) Why do you need a mounted bigle pump on a boat with no inboard engine and a deck stepped mast. Buy a $30.00 portable and call it a day, a boat like yours will almost never take any water and a bucket is far more efficient than a small pump a boat like yours can maintain :)

·
Registered
163 Posts
On my Catalina 22 all I used was a hand pump and it worked fine. Keep it simple... If you really want to go the permanent route I would add a thru hull on the stern, centered, and above the water line and you wont have to worry about a loop at all.

·
Registered
846 Posts
A boat is meant to be on the water and Murphy is always active. Water in the bilge in normal conditions is always easy to discard. Make sure you install the highest capacity electrical bilge pump to your boat. Maybe you will never need it but it might save your life and your boat if something happens.

Although longer pipes decrease the amount of flow, it is always a good idea to discharge the water from the stern which is always above the water line.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for responses and advice! I'm in the middle of a slow but steady refit of most everything.

I keep a bucket on board and a portable but I guess I wanted to do this because I plan to put her in a slip in a year or so after I get all the systems redone and wanted something automatic for when I am away from the boat. I think trying to rout the discharge into the cockpit is a great idea and just didn't occur to me.

In the three years I have had her I have never seen a drop of water in the bilge...she's always been a dry boat. First thing I did when I bought the boat was rebed every fitting, cleat or screw penetrating the deck. Not a leak since... ; )

I think the bucket and routing the tubing back to the cockpit will work fine. Thanks for that suggestion!

There is only about 2 inches of room between the stern glass and the rear of the cockpit so I can't mount a thru hull there and run tubing unfortunately.

·
Master Mariner
9,071 Posts
If you cannot fit a vented loop and riser for a submersible pump in your boat, then you will have to use a diaphragm or impeller pump on which you can use a check valve. Do not, under any circumstances, use a check valve with a submersible pump.
So, it's a really easy fix and nothing you should worry about. You can use any auto pump switch, just like on a submersible (my favorite being the blue Sure Bail ones). Be sure to put a pick up screen on the pick up so you don't get bits into the impeller or diaphragm, causing them to fail. Always carry extra impeller or diaphragm kits so you can easily repair them off the dock (only a few minutes job).

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Automatic or manual pump with discharge to the cockpit, so that you know water is getting in the bilge and you should find out why.

I just check before and after sailing each day, and only need to use the manual pump if rain has come through the companionway.

I suggest finding a way to eliminate the sink drain through hull, but if not a problem, leave it alone.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
After looking at the hose routing possibilities this weekend, I found a great path to rout the hose for discharge into the cockpit and will work on eliminating the old through hull that is so close to the waterline.

Thanks for all the advice and thoughts.

-G20

1 - 8 of 8 Posts