SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Over Hill Sailing Club
3,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a cheap bimini on ebay: Navy Blue 3 Bow Frame Bimini Top Cover Boat 6'L x 54"H x 79" 84"w 1" Frame Boot | eBay I have never had one because I like being as unobstructed as possible around the cockpit. The idea is to alter it so it is easily removable, breaking down so that it can be stowed 99% of the time and put up only if looks like it's really going to pour. I don't mind donning rain gear but it might be nice to have a bimini at times as long as it's not in the way most of the time. Does anyone have a bimini that is normally stowed?

·
One of None
8,040 Posts
I'd die without the one on my boat. You have a wheel up near the companion way right? where's your mainsheet?

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
I sailed one year without one. I got one before the next summer and have never sailed without one since. Skin cancer is no joke.

·
Over Hill Sailing Club
3,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Denise, The pedestal is about centered in the cockpit sole. My sheet winches are also centered on the cockpit which will make it difficult to get the tubing out of the way. The base mount would be probably have to be atop the side boards like the dodger but will probably be in the way for handling the sheets. I'll have to mess around with different ways to mount it to see if I can get it forward of the winches. The thing is WAY too wide, so will have to shorten the fabric and the frame by about 15" but that should be fairly easy. Hey, for $79 bucks, it's worth a try. If it works, will build one out of s.s. with good Sunbrella cloth next year. Hoping I can shape it so it somehow folds out of the way.

Group 9, I hear what you're saying about staying out of the sun but a good wide-brimmed hat, some SPF 60, and some zinc oxide are probably more effective than a bimini. A lot of the sunburn comes reflected up off the water.

·
Bombay Explorer 44
3,619 Posts
I might not die without mine but I would certainly fry.

Also I would get wet when it rains.

Mine stays up alla time.

Front of the dodger is removable though for those hot days at anchor.

·
One of None
8,040 Posts

there ya go! Mid boom main sheet in order, but I'd hate to see that boom bend in the middle.

I might not die without mine but I would certainly fry.

Also I would get wet when it rains.

Mine stays up alla time.

Front of the dodger is removable though for those hot days at anchor.
I've not died yet but my heat intolerance has gotten worse then ever! 85+ in the sun is all it takes now. I can't cool off, my head starts throbbing. face gets beat red.. (health and bad diet issues mostly)

·
Over Hill Sailing Club
3,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I definitely would not want one up all the time. I would rather not have one at all than have one permanently up. One of the things I like most about sailing is being outside and free, not huddling under cover. Sometimes I even fold the dodger down. I truly don't get the idea of being inside a tent like so many boats I see.

Denise, you can see the issue with placement of the frame attachment from the graphic you posted. With the winches just aft of the pedestal, the pivot attachment will be in the way of sheets. Yes the boom is 15' long, not one of those skimpy little modern booms:)

·
Over Hill Sailing Club
3,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Obviously, you have never spent a summer in central Florida.
I have a canvas sun cover that extends all the way from mast to the stern. It works really well when at anchor. Used it in Florida last year and I agree that some kind of shade cover is necessary there.

·
Land lubber
1,421 Posts
I have a canvas sun cover that extends all the way from mast to the stern. It works really well when at anchor. Used it in Florida last year and I agree that some kind of shade cover is necessary there.
Yes, it can be miserable here. I know I can get badly burned in 20 minutes on the water here on a sunny day. I try to remember to put on the SPF 30 before I leave the house. If I wait until on the boat, it is already too late due to the 20 minutes at the boat ramp.

·
Administrator
7,602 Posts
Mine folds back in about 30 seconds. I usually sail with it back cos I couldnt see the wondrous glory of the everlasting stars... let alone the bloody mainsail!

Reactions: smurphny

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
I definitely would not want one up all the time. I would rather not have one at all than have one permanently up. One of the things I like most about sailing is being outside and free, not huddling under cover. Sometimes I even fold the dodger down. I truly don't get the idea of being inside a tent like so many boats I see.

Denise, you can see the issue with placement of the frame attachment from the graphic you posted. With the winches just aft of the pedestal, the pivot attachment will be in the way of sheets. Yes the boom is 15' long, not one of those skimpy little modern booms:)
That's the difference between being in New York and in the deep South!

You can get fried down here without shade in the summer. :D

·
Master Mariner
9,055 Posts
I'm so convinced that a Bimini is a great thing, that I am considering a hard top. I have two windows in the Bimini (as I would have in a hard top) so seeing the sails is not a problem. Our Bimini could fold out of the way in two pieces in less than a minute, but we have never felt the need. We do have a very good dodger, but no side curtains.
I'd bet that if you properly design your Bimini, you won't be folding it very often. Plus, it's a pretty good place to put solar panels.

Reactions: Group9 and smurphny

·
Registered
441 Posts
Our 66 Pearson Wanderer is similar to the Alberg on deck. We mounted a cheap bimini forward of the helm so it folds up easily and neatly over the forward part of the companionway cover. It is out of the way of all running rigging. We don't use it often but it's great to have when we need it. It does provide some shade for the crew when it's really hot. And it does provide some shelter for the crew when it rains. And we can position it so it shades the cabin when at anchor and still allow a breeze to the cockpit. And will also keep a light rain out of the cabin even with the companionway open.

Our big difference is that our boat has a tiller so the person at the helm can't always benefit from the bimini, but sometimes can. With your wheel steering you will probably be left out in the weather, which it sounds like you prefer anyway.

·
Over Hill Sailing Club
3,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
When taking measurements, I tried to figure it so it would fold forward, up right next to the dodger, as Closecall suggested. That would have been a good set-up but it would be 6" higher than the dodger frame, N/G. So it will have to fold back somehow. I though of mounting it inside the boards so it would fold forward and rest behind the companionway on the seats but that would block opening the seat hatches. I think the only way is going to be to actually clamp it in different positions to see what works best. There must be another A35 with a bimini somewhere to look at.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Smurphny,
What do you think of the quality of the bimini you got? I have thought of buying the same one but the cost/price has me concerned about the quality.

·
Registered
113 Posts
That is a heck of a deal on the Bimini. Can you provide some feedback as to the quality of the product? I would be very interested in ordering one myself if you recommend it. Being a Florida resident myself I could really use the shade on these super hot summer days.

Zac

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
This from the National Institute of Water and Atmospheric Research (NIWA) in New Zealand:

"In the NZ summer, UVI values regularly exceed 13, even in the south of the
country where UV is less intense. A recent study showed that peak UVI values in NZ are about 40% more than at similar latitudes in North America."

In Auckland even under a bimini, folks with sensitive skin will get sunburned quite significantly so anyone choosing not to have a bimini at all needs to have lots of health insurance or needs to keep themselves completely covered in clothing.

Mmmmmm . . . . . bimini or fully clothed? . . . . bimini or fully clothed?

I think bimini wins. Or at least for me it does. Sailing on a hot day fully clothed doesn't work that well for me.

And at $80 there really isn't any alternative for me.

·
Over Hill Sailing Club
3,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
I have not yet received it but will report back on its quality. At that price, I can't imagine it's very well made but as an experiment as to whether one will work, the price is right. I'd hate to spend a lot of time and money to fabricate a high quality bimini just to decide later that it didn't work out for some reason. I searched the internet for a picture of an A35 with a bimini but could not find one. That may be a clue. Maybe it just can't be fit in acceptably, we'll see. I did see one with what looked like an extension from the dodger. That may also be a possibility. There isn't much tolerance in height either. The boom swings just a few inches over my head, so getting the height exactly right is crucial. Maybe I'll just strap an umbrella to the pedestal:)

Capta, I was on an A37 last year that had a hard top. It was VERY nicely done but it definitely had a closed-in feeling in the cockpit, almost as if inside a cabin.

Mark,
"Mine folds back in about 30 seconds. I usually sail with it back cos I couldnt see the wondrous glory of the everlasting stars... let alone the bloody mainsail! "

For sure. Having a clear view of the sails, telltales, windex on mast top, as well as a view forward are restricted by biminis and "clear" curtains. It's a real safety issue.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I just got a cheap bimini from Amazon. $134 shipped. I saw the cheaper one like the OP ordered, but the I bought got better reviews, plus I wanted something other than blue and this one came with a cover. Have not sailed yet since I am finishing up painting, but it appears I have a couple of inches clearance with the boom. I was worried it would not clear. I may still have to cut it down, but really don't want too since I can stand beneath it now. Should be close. 6' long, 46" tall.

It came in blue, gray, and burgundy. I was afraid the burgundy would not match the sunbrella sail cover so I went with gray. Appears well made and installed easily. I would have gotten stainless tubing and sunbrella, but the wife threatened to cut off a body part I am fond of if I spent that much money. So it goes.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 22 Posts