SailNet Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Benedict Arnold commanded a fleet of boats in the first naval conflict of the revolution against a British fleet in Lake Champlain. The British came through the Richelieu Chambly canal from Quebec.

·
Over Hill Sailing Club
3,688 Posts
Yep, just a few miles from where I live. Whitehall is a sleepy little town right at the last lock of the Champlain Canal. It IS difficult to get aircraft carriers there nowadays:)

·
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA
4,526 Posts
Yep, just a few miles from where I live. Whitehall is a sleepy little town right at the last lock of the Champlain Canal. It IS difficult to get aircraft carriers there nowadays:)
Aircraft carriers in late 18th century were much smaller.

Reactions: MarkofSeaLife

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Yes, homing pigeons didn’t take up much hanger space and didn’t require arrestor hooks.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Benedict Arnold commanded a fleet of boats in the first naval conflict of the revolution against a British fleet in Lake Champlain. The British came through the Richelieu Chambly canal from Quebec.
True Arnold did just that , however he was continental army at the time.
So although naval conflict was no navy.
Question has been debated much
and I guess debate will continue. Believe technical answer is Phila.
when continental congress made it official.

·
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA
4,526 Posts
Interesting that China does not have a navy. It is the People's Liberation Army Navy - a branch of the army. Of course, they have not many naval assets until quite recently.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
It was still the navy of the continental army when outfitted and upgraded by Captain John (big John) Barry, later to be Commodore John Barry, under the direction of the Continental Congress in Philadelphia.

The United States did not formally exist until after the Treaty of Paris in 1783.

·
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)
3,217 Posts
NJ cannot claim the birth of the Navy.. but can lay claim to one of it's earliest victories.

for those familier with Wildwood and Wildwood Crest.. Turtle Gut Inlet is where "sunset lake" is now.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Yeah, baby, definitely Marblehead, and certainly not Beverly, they're just wrong..

All 'Headahs know that!

Tom (MHS '67-- and John Glover Elementary, he da first Secretary of the rowboats, uh, Navy)
May be true, but Marblehead's had to come to Long Island and row Washington's army across East River!

So that proves Long Island birthplace of U.S. Navy! (smiley face goes here)

·
Registered
80 Posts
I believe Providence,RI should be recognized as the birth place since the first Commodore Abraham Whipple was given command of the boat Katy there. He used this boat to successfully attack the British in Boston and relieve the blockade of the port. Info provided by my paternal grandmother maiden name Whipple and backed by historical facts.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts