SailNet Community banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Member
Joined
·
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My stuffing box had been dripping quite a bit more than it should have since I got the boat. Since we moved to a new marina it had moved from a drip to a stream. Something around 10-15 gallons of water in an eight hour period were coming in.

I got the water back down to a drip a drip every 30 seconds or so by tightening it up but I am thinking it needs to be repacked. While in there I noticed that the black hose that is attaching the stuffing box to the hull is leaking a bit and tightening the hose clamps did not completely stop it. It is leaking on the hull side not the stuffing box side.

Looking at it it looks like the boat needs to be pulled out of the water to replace the hose since it is around the prop shaft(If I am wrong on that let me know). If the prop shaft is coming out I may as well replace the cutlass bearing since the surveyor said it was a bit loose. Is there anything else that should be replaced while I have the shaft and boat out of the water?

Are the dripless shaft sealers worth the effort to put in especially if I am going to all this effort anyway? I read someplace that if they do fail they fail in a more catastrophic manner than the traditional stuffing box does. It sounds somewhat attractive to have one less thing to futz with though and they are only a few hundred dollars so not really that expensive on the relative scale of boat things. So any other cons to the dripless shaft seals besides cost and potentialy disastrous things should it fail?
 

·
Member
Joined
·
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The 10-15 gallons was before I tightened it down. yes it was indeed a steady stream of water coming out of it not a drip. :) I should have taken a picture so I have a reference for what it should not look like. After tightening it is a drip every 30 seconds or so.

I think part of the reason I got such a change after moving is that their is a lot more current where we are now and we have current right up our stern so it can push in a bit more.

The double scary part is that about the same time the rate increased is the time my bilge pump switch went out so for a few days I had to manually turn on the pump to pump it out. Had I been gone for a few days I would have had some serious damage and gone for a week a sunk boat. I have a new switch in now and the leak down to a reasonable amount. Now I am only worried about having tightened the stuffing box too much and it won't be getting enough water in! :)
 
1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Top