SailNet Community banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· islander bahama 24
1,842 Posts
Reaction score
Another option would be a system to pump the tank while at sea via the deck pump out fitting what boat is it and what is the current head and tank installation here are a couple ideas that would in my opinion be better than a hole in the boat Amazon.com : Sea Flo 12v Macerator Water Waste Pump 45 LPM 12gpm Toilet Rv Trailer Camper Marine Boat : Sports & [email protected]@[email protected]@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/[email protected]@[email protected]@31NPs0xiLbL also adapt to deck waste pump out fitting

· islander bahama 24
1,842 Posts
Reaction score
These are generally connected to the below waterline outlet. To exit the pumpout fitting (assuming these pumps can lift that far) would require a hose to go overboard to the water anyway. A connection that might not work perfectly on a rolling boat beyond the no discharge limits. Yuk.
I should make a unit like I am thinking and patent it in my mind it will work great however most people have a hard time visualising my ideas think a hose screwing into the deck fitting then twist locking to the pump and a fixed 5 foot discharge hose with a weighted end to keep it pointed down and use it to pump the tanks when needed not every time you use the head

· islander bahama 24
1,842 Posts
Reaction score
Pretty sure I visualized exactly what you are thinking. I've seen plenty of dock side connections have difficulty, when the boat is not moving. I still think that's a risk. Then, what are you going to do with the contaminated hose, when you're finished? Yuk.
Just like in an RV you cap it and secure the hose assembly outside of the living space
However the real question should be why did they not design it with an overboard discharge to begin with that isn't a little day sailer

· islander bahama 24
1,842 Posts
Reaction score
I'm on Lake Michigan where "no overboard discharge" is the law...I think. Anyway, I had to sign a paper at the harbor that says "there is no way" to dump black water (hose disconnected or no hoe). So, the previous owners either ordered the boat with the hole not drilled, or they had it plugged. Currently, I can't find where the hole was drilled (looking from the inside)...if it was previously drilled. Additionally, one of the hoses coming off the Y-Valve is plugged and just laying in the area under the Y-value. I am going to look around a bit to see if I can find where the hole might have been drilled. There is a hull liner on this boat, so I should be able to find a hole in the hull liner if it was previously drilled.
If there is a wye valve there was likely a thru hull and was glassed over at some point that would have been good info to include to begin the search with

· islander bahama 24
1,842 Posts
Reaction score
My boat partner and I once considered using a similar solution. However, we figured that pressurizing the holding tank (albeit briefly) wasn't a very good idea. Just too many potential disasters. We also were a bit concerned about where/how to store the dirty discharge hose. Storage on our Ericson 27 is at a premium as it is, without trying to find somewhere to keep a poopy length of hose.
Actually suction not pressure and with the caps on there is no mess how do you think they pump you at the docks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.