SailNet Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of restoration. My boat is on a "semi dry dock", that is on a very high tide it floats in about 1 foot of river water. I noticed that has two old gate valves which are leaking. Eventually I think will glass over but in the meantime is it enough to remove them from the thru hull then to screw a female blanking plug onto the thru hull and use thread sealant? Would i have any problems matching threads?

Cheers

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
Just curious, what did the gate valves supply water to???

Yes, removing the valves and putting a female blanking plug or pipe cap over the through-hull is a solution, but you may have a problem with thread type, since through-hulls are NPS thread and the pipe cap may be NPT thread. However, it will probably work in that case, but it won't be ideal.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks very much for the advice. I have know idea what the gate valves were for. My boat has 6 completely unnecessary thru hulls and I intend to eliminate every last one of them! Most have been heavily glassed from the inside only and I'm pondering the best way of finishing them from the outside

1 - 3 of 3 Posts