SailNet Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
87,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Blisters appeared on my 1976 O''Day 27 at the end of last season. They are just above the waterline, on the colored stripe at the bottom edge of the hull. This area is only under water when heeling. I will clean them out, fill them with epoxy/fairing compound. DO I NEED TO PUT ON 5-6 COATS OF BARRIER PAINT? Or will putting 2-3 coats of topside paint be sufficient?

Thanks for your help. Any other thoughts appreciated.

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
Sounds like the blisters might just be in the paint, possbly caused by something you sailed through, or which came downtide while you were at anchor. If so, sand down the bubbles and repaint the boottop. If the blisters ARE in the gelcoat, but you''ve had no blister problems before and they''re not too big or too many (this can get subjective), try just filling the ones you''ve got and see if the problem recurs. If it keeps happening next season and gets worse, THEN think about the barrier coat. Cutting off your arm will cure your hangnail, but it''s a bit more than what''s required to fix what''s wrong. It makes more sense to fully determine the extent of the problem and respond accordingly.

·
Registered
87,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Pete,
Remember that before filling the voids you have to dry them out or the repair wont last long.
You can dry them out by leaving them open in dry weather for a couple days or with a hair dryer/heat gun. But Paul might be right...they might be in the paint.

Dennis

1 - 3 of 3 Posts