SailNet Community banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
488 Posts
Reaction score
If it were my boat and if it were going to be out of the water over winter, I would ground out the individual blisters at haulout, let them dry over winter and fill them in spring.

Disclaimer, my boat had blisters for nearly a decade before I bought it and did a full peel. Non of the blisters on my boat would have compromised the structure, I just don't know how to leave well enough alone.

· Registered
488 Posts
Reaction score
SJ34 - Before you fixed them, did you notice that the blisters got worse over time? Or, did they progress to a certain point and then stop.
In my case it was a problem with the lay-up timing. The builder allowed the gelcoat to sit too long before laying up the glass. I did the blister repair exactly a year after the haul-out survey and yes, there were more blisters and there were a few that were over an inch in diameter but none would have caused a problem structurally... the problem was with me, I lose sleep over stupid things like that.

In your case it makes almost no sense to ignore them. It is way too easy a repair. I would not go the full peel route though. If you haul the boat for paint every couple years, just spot repair as needed. I also would not waste the effort and expense of a barrier coat. Just spot repair and seal with epoxy at each haul-out.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.