SailNet Community banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Pearson 32 has blisters. So, I researched hull blisters. I've found some articles that describe peeling and redoing the bottom (cost prohibitive), others recommend drilling out the blisters and put an epoxy plug in, other articles say the epoxy plug will fall out, still others say blisters are cosmetic and not a problem, leave them alone and don't destroy your hull.

In summary, I've gotten answers. All kinds of answers, so many, I'm not sure what to do. So, I'm asking the opinion of those who have dealt with hull blisters, all kinds of hull blisters.

I've read the blisters contain some form of acid and continue to eat the hull.

Do you drill and plug them, or leave them alone?

·
Barkeep - Sailor's Pub
1,951 Posts
My Pearson 32 has blisters. So, I researched hull blisters. I've found some articles that describe peeling and redoing the bottom (cost prohibitive), others recommend drilling out the blisters and put an epoxy plug in, other articles say the epoxy plug will fall out, still others say blisters are cosmetic and not a problem, leave them alone and don't destroy your hull.

In summary, I've gotten answers. All kinds of answers, so many, I'm not sure what to do. So, I'm asking the opinion of those who have dealt with hull blisters, all kinds of hull blisters.

I've read the blisters contain some form of acid and continue to eat the hull.

Do you drill and plug them, or leave them alone?
There is some good info already here in the forums...

Blister 1

Blister 2

Blister 3

http://www.sailnet.com/forums/buying-boat/24271-question-blisters-yet-again.html?highlight=Blisters

http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/41052-barrier-coat.html?highlight=Blisters

http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/17498-blistering.html?highlight=Blisters

search "Blisters"....

By the way... the more information you provide... where the boat is... Salt/Fresh...Hot/Cold....how big the blisters are...has the bottom been redone in the past? Where they are on the boat? etc. etc. etc. Pics would also be good. Your question is pretty general... but we want to help!

·
ASA and PSIA Instructor
4,302 Posts
Blisters can indicate a wide variety of underlying problems, stretching from the the trivially cosmetic to the catastrophically fatal. you need to figure out where your boat fits on the scale, probably best involving the advice of an experienced surveyor. The more blisters there are, the deeper they are, and if the hull stays wet after a few days out of the water (not to the eyes, but when tested), especially if it is a cored hull, the mor elikely the blisters represent real trouble.

·
moderate?
996 Posts
Buckeye...note that pascoe is not supported by the research quoted in the zimmerman article...and his views are not supported by most of the marine industry. This has been a prior thread issue recently. Anyone with blisters should read all the links above before making up their mind what to do.

·
Handsome devil
3,479 Posts
My hull has blisters and they are in the CSM...under that is translucent green very healthy woven roving...Im a lazy sailor/boat owner ...Im just waiting for all the CSM to hit the sea floor...if it all fell off at once that would make my day.

If yours is like mine I wouldn't worrie about it...it accounts for little structural integrity ( it was only there to hide print through ) and it will add some weight to your boat due to being waterlogged...if your not a racer weight is a good thing...

OK... thease may all be tong in check answers but its how I feel...take it or leave it...no expert but Ive owned boats for 42 years.. none have sunk yet..just my 2 cents..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts