SailNet Community banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,203 Posts
With a 76' mast, I think he is doing all ocean sailing. Like said, no north wind around Hatteras, otherwise north wind past that is great. This time of year should be presenting lots of lighter, non-North wind opportunities. After Hatteras, there are many inlets to stop in. Personally, I find going in and out of inlets to add so much time and distance that it is less hassle to just go straight through. It is 10-15nm in to Charleston, for example, and the tidal currents in the inlets are brutal in the SE US and anchoring in Charleston is terrible. Winyah Bay is an easier stop for anchoring, but still extra distance and current. Beaufort to Brunswick is ~300nm, so about 2 days - a nice sail if you catch a easy N or NE wind out of Beaufort.

Mark

·
Registered
5,203 Posts
The western wall is danger, and I stay as far away as I can, really do not want to find out how far the shoals extend out to sea.
This is a very well charted area. As long as one isn't being stupid in cutting the shoal areas, it isn't risky using the charted depths appropriately.

Mark

·
Registered
5,203 Posts
Looks like Oregon Inlet, NC is too risky to pull into with constant shoaling, but wondering about Hatteras Inlet, Ocracoke Inlet, and Lookout Bight for a night's rest on anchor.
We only draw 4' and are very maneuverable with 2 engines 20' apart - but there is no way we'd do any of those inlets. Besides, once inside the inlet, you have a long way to go in skinny channels to get anywhere to anchor.

Lookout Bight is fine for anchoring.

Mark

Edit: I see TJ said the same thing before me, but I didn't see that when posting.

·
Registered
5,203 Posts
Thank you both for the local knowledge. What should I expect to encounter with the Gulf Stream rounding Cape Hatteras to Lookout Bight and Cape Fear?

Dave
Right now the GS is close to Hatteras, as it does every summer, but it will move off in the coming weeks and months. Stay close to Hatteras and you will be out of the Gulf Stream, although you will still have ~1.5kt of current or so against you right at Hatteras, and less as you round it. After that, current won't be much down to Brunswick.

Mark

·
Registered
5,203 Posts
Yes, that is a good point about the engine - going S is almost always motoring to some extent because of conditions one wants in that area for the trip, so making sure one's engine is in good shape is prudent. We carry a spare engine! :D

Going outside the GS means 45nm out, and another 45nm back in just to avoid that 15-20nm point - and you need to cross the stream twice.

Diamond Shoal point is often bumpy, but it is only 20nm of bumpy. If one picks a good window to round it, it can be a non-event.

Mark

·
Registered
5,203 Posts
On my thread on comfort was chastised on the basis "Is a sailboat, we sail"
Not by me! We spent 3 months cruising a Nordhavn trawler from FL to Bermuda to Nova Scotia. There are many things about cruising this way that are better than on a sailboat. There are also many things worse than that on a sailboat.

I learned to really appreciate the better aspects of trawler cruising, while gaining a better appreciation why we aren't doing so at this stage of our lives.

It's just two different ways of passagemaking to share the same destinations.

Mark

·
Registered
5,203 Posts
Winds are about 50/50 in N component vs non-N component now, but this will probably shift to lots of N by December. Wind strength will vary a lot as the weather changes, but be from 10-20 most of the time. There will be fewer calm days, and you might want to jump on those when they occur. Once around Hatteras, things become easier because N winds are great and you no longer have current.

Mark

·
Registered
5,203 Posts
Let me add to the discussion based on my experience; Someone noted that the inlets are well charted.
That was me, and I did not say the inlets were well-charted. I said the ocean area rounding Hatteras is well-charted, and it is.

I've been advocating going straight to Brunswick, and not stopping in inlets along the way.

Sapelo Sound is notorious for shifting shoals, as is Ossabaw further North.

Mark

1 - 8 of 8 Posts