SailNet Community banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I'm wondering if anyone has thoughts on the Blue jacket 40? I saw this boat at the newport show this past weekend and thought it was nice but the thought of spending just shy of 500K for a 40 foot boat has me stumped. I know this model has been around for 2 years or so and I think they are on hull # 6 or 7. Is this boat worth the price?

Thank you.

·
Registered
7,314 Posts
Saw one in seattle over the weekend also. Outside I saw an ew yuck, never went inside. Looks about as slow as an island packet, which the boat is part of that group........

500K for a 40' boat is a lot. Considering the many that are faster, probably sail better etc that are in the 250-300K range.

Of course, your mileage may vary.........

marty

·
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA
4,525 Posts
Saw one this weekend as well. I have mixed thoughts about the boat. I quite liked the idea of a Solent stay and it seemed well-built. It seems to be a boat that they tried to design for multiple purposes. The sales guy who showed the boat at the show in Toronto said that it is meant as a coastal cruiser and there isn't a good sea berth but most other features seemed to suggest it could be a good distance cruiser. The sales guy said if you want to cross an ocean you want an IP. He did not seem to understand the idea of more rapid passage making.

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
Apparently, it is a 40-footer designed for midgets... :)

Hey, all's fair in an effort to make a boat look bigger, right?

Compare the respective sizes of the figures in the cockpit relative to the boat in these 2 renderings:

and an actual photograph:

Hey, perhaps $500K isn't all that unreasonable, for a boat that looks that much bigger than it actually is?

:)

·
Registered
870 Posts
I've been on one multiple times and it didn't particularly impress. Note that I was impressed the first time I stepped on the IP Estero which has a pretty unique layout. The idea of an IP designed to be faster seemed interesting, but nothing about it jumped out at me as particularly special. It seems like there are good options for cheaper boats, faster boats and more spacious boats at this size.

All that said I have little business evaluating 40' boats, but after years of boat shows I've been on quite a few.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Just as an aside...$500k for a 40 foot boat is par for the course for a lot of the bluewater boats I looked into (Pacific Seacraft, Norstar 40, Valiant 42 when it was still offered).

Prices are way up for new long distance cruising boats. Probably 1/2 that for a new Beneteau/Hunter/Catalina in the 40 foot range. Building using the old way is expensive it seems. This shows on the secondary market where there just isn't much supply for those designs from the late 1990s and beyond. I suspect prices will rise and there may even be appreciation for people that bought those bluewater boats.

I have no idea how the Blue Jacket is built...but Island Packets tended to be heavy, so assuming a lot of fiberglass goes into 'em.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
Hey,

The previous owner of my boat bought a Blue Jacket 40 (I guess you're not supposed to call it the BJ40). That's why he sold the C&C. I've corresponded with him a few times and he is happy with the boat. I can give you his email address if you want to get in touch.

Personally I like the boat. I don't have to worry about what new 40' boat to buy because they are ALL out of my price range.

Barry

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey,

The previous owner of my boat bought a Blue Jacket 40 (I guess you're not supposed to call it the BJ40). That's why he sold the C&C. I've corresponded with him a few times and he is happy with the boat. I can give you his email address if you want to get in touch.

Personally I like the boat. I don't have to worry about what new 40' boat to buy because they are ALL out of my price range.

Barry
Hello Barry, I know this is an old post, but I'm looking at a 2014 and 2015 Blue Jacket 40. I would appreciate you sending me contact info for previous owner of your boat to see what he thinks about his B.Jacket. Thanks, Kent PS I can't post my email for you to reply as this is my first post. Perhaps you can respond with your contact info and I'll send you mine?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.