SailNet Community banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Handsome devil
3,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought Id go ahead and share an upgrade we are doing to our boat..

As well as a compleat rewire... I upgraded and changed locations of the electrical panel.

Irwin screwed the pooch IMHO mounting the origional panel where they did..it was so low you had to get on your knees to read the labels.

It is in a much better spot now at eye level even though I may have weakened a bulkhead a tad by putting it there.

I have killed two birds with one stone doing this...as I designed all the new cable trunk runs to alow for a future rebuild of my current stand at only chart table to alow for a new forward facing sit down one...It will be smaller... but so much more useful and multi functional as well.

Tell me what you think .

Attachments

·
Handsome devil
3,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Here is a shot of the before and after back sides...Im sure Irwin did not wire it this way originally but this is more then likely 25 years of accumulated Home tuner upgrading..:rolleyes:

The new panel wiring is not finished yet in this picture...As you can see we will have very easy access to the back of the panel from this hanging locker..Actually this is my work bench and tool room. I will be building a removable wood partition to totaly seal off any risk of damage to the panel and wiring buses. as well as help keeping it clean.

Attachments

·
Registered
995 Posts
Incredible Scott. But what happens when the little wiring diagram piece of paper falls off!!!!

Just kidding. Great job.

Brian

·
Registered
7,861 Posts
Looks great. I'm currently rewiring a CS27 myself. Question - is that a shunt and a fuse in line? If it's a fuse, why in the negative line?
Brian

·
Handsome devil
3,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I mounted the panel but I can not take credit for the wiring..that is being done professionally...I would need more then that little diagram Im afraid..more like a big thick comic book full of pictures..;)..and it would still probably all go ..BaM! PoW! WHaM!.. :p

Yes it is a shunt..We are installing a Link Pro as well...I have been reading up on threads dealing with them (link 10 and what not )..I hope it all gets wired corectly or Im screwed..:eek: :rolleyes:

·
Registered
7,861 Posts
I thought it was a shunt, looks the same as my Xantrex shunt (Link 10), but is that a fuse beside it to the left and if so why is it in the negative line?
Brian

·
Handsome devil
3,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I thought it was a shunt, looks the same as my Xantrex shunt (Link 10), but is that a fuse beside it to the left and if so why is it in the negative line?
Brian
Brian:

Both of thoes units as shunts...one for the multifunction LED meters on the Blue Sea panel itself and one for the link pro..I just had to have the link pro after Mainsails wright up on it some time ago..Im sort of doubled up in a way but it will do things the panel meters will not do.

Totally unnessary by some peoples beliefes and ways of monitoring things... but Im a gadget guy...My motto is .." Keep it simple...install a button for everything".. :laugher.. Just kidding ..just kidding.........................sort of :p

·
Registered
7,861 Posts
That makes more sense. I'm using a Xantrex Link10 for house ans because it's a one bank unit I'm using a digital voltmeter to keep an eye on the start battery.
Brian

·
Registered
323 Posts
Now that is what wiring should look like!!!!:D Wow, my boat resembles the first picture, and I'm not kidding. When you are finished, do you think it would be possible to post a schematic of your job? I would love to incorporate some of your ideas in my ongoing rewire project.

Fantastic!

Bill

·
Handsome devil
3,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Now that is what wiring should look like!!!!:D Wow, my boat resembles the first picture, and I'm not kidding. When you are finished, do you think it would be possible to post a schematic of your job? I would love to incorporate some of your ideas in my ongoing rewire project.

Fantastic!

Bill
Not a problum....when I get my head wraped around it all..I will draw one up on somthing besides a couple napkins and post it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts