SailNet Community banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
980 Posts
Another thing to check on any Taiwan boat is how plumbing fittings are attached. A 5 cent part cost my father his steering on his Fantasia 35 two weeks out of Hawaii. Another friend had a T37 with water tanks requiring him to rip up his cabin floor, cut up his tank, and then remove it. A very talented surveyor is your best friend.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Having read the responses to you query I tend to agree with Jef H. Sailboats are meant to sail not waddle through the sea. With modern material and technology a "Bluewater Cruiser" does not have to be based on centuries old ideas. Bleach Bottles as you have called them come in all types for all budgets. Check out the records/forums for the individual boats and I think you will find out that a modern fin keel light to moderate displacement boat will weather any storm you get into much better then you {Mental} will. Good sailing does not come in the form of heavey/"Traditional" sailboats. For the years I was cruising I saw as many fin keel boats as traditional if not more of them. I remember sailing circles around a heavey displacement cruiser at the start of a 1000 mile passage and arriving three days ahead of him. That gave me more time to enjoy the places I visited!

·
Registered
980 Posts
RichH I think you missed the point I was trying to make.. I was not putting down heavy displacement boats, you are right the Passage is the joy and after over 40,000 miles on fin keel boats that were properly designed and not racing I love the ability to sail in all conditions. I also stated a light to medium displacement boat not a ULDB or any extreme machine. These boats when properly designed are seakindly and comfortable. I never rattled my teeth beating to weather. I certainly didn''t enjoy it when I had to do it for days on a time. A modern design sails fast and upright. All boats going to windward in the bad stuff pound. I guess that is when a couple of days off a long passage is a positive. I would rather run from bad weather then have to slog along no matter how seakindly my boat is. To each his own and mine is all around sailing. You can''t beat modern boats for that!

·
Registered
980 Posts
The perfect blue water boat is the one you have and leave with

But realistically there is a balance between the heavy go no where boats and too light and racey to be sailed without a full crew.

Key factors are $$$$

Look at boats like; Passports, Moodys, Hallberg Rassey, Valiants, Shannons, Taswell, Amel, Westerly etc. they are all different but designed as Passagemakers once you are over 40 feet or so. Sail them and figure out what works for you.

Remeber speed is good as long as you are comfortable. and extra 1/2 to 1 knot average can cut hours if not days off and extended passage.

BTW I just went through this and ended up with a Moody 47 [older 85]

Jon

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.