SailNet Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Abysmally Stupid
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning to install a "board" attached to the stanchions for storing of gas, diesel and water jerry cans on deck.

Now, I would prefer not to use wood for the board, since I have hardly any other exterior wood and hate varnishing etc.

I was thinking about using some type of marine lumber, star board or equiv to make a board approx 1: thick and 4-6" high and N feet long.

Any suggestions on which material to use and where to buy?

Cheers

·
the pointy end is the bow
6,265 Posts
Something like trex decking material might be more reasonably priced than anything aimed at the marine consumer, if you can find something that's not too ugly.

·
Abysmally Stupid
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
erps,

Not a bad idea.

Should be reasonably priced and it seems to bend pretty well

I would have preffered white in color, but what the hell it ain't gonna be too pretty with yellow and red jerry cans on deck anyway.

Thanks.

·
Registered
995 Posts
We used what I think was a 2x6 or 2x8 pressure treated. It doubled as a boarding ramp or a fender board when at dock. It requires no maintenance.

Just a thought in your decision... though I agree the starbord would be better looking.

Brian

·
Abysmally Stupid
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The drawback with starboard seems to be that it only comes in "sheet" type of dimensions like 24"*54" or 54"*96". I need about 5 feet (4 cans) and the starboard sheets then cost several hundred bucks.

·
Registered
79 Posts
jorgen,
You might stop by a big-box store and look in the moldings section. I saw some 1 x 5 1/2" PVC stuff that might work for you. It was definitely not starboard priced.

·
Registered
928 Posts
I made these hand rails and stuff from that fake redwood deck material. It cuts and routs easy.
It sands and takes a stain pretty good too.

When it warms up it gets a little flexie but holds screws well if predrilled.

I think you can get it up to 8 inches wide.

It has been setting in the socal sun for three years since spar varnishing it.

If I was going to be ruff with it I would just sand it smooth with a 600 finish and use minwax stain and sealer on it.
http://i361.photobucket.com/albums/oo57/Tmebandt/IMG_0520.jpg

·
██▓▓▒▒░&
13,645 Posts
One of the paint companies (Krylon?) is making a spray paint for plastics, so you might get a piece of plastic decking (which usually is about 5" wide with no other widths available) and then pick up a can of the plastic spray paint to make it another color.

Picking up just one piece of the plastic decking may be a good trick though, many places only sell it by the 'bundle' not the piece.

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
I'd vote for CruisingDad's suggestion, though I wouldn't want to use 1x as a gangplank, and it would last about fifteen seconds as a fenderboard, since 1x boards are often softer woods like White Pine. A 2x8 makes more sense; 2x10 would be a good bit stronger and easier to use as a gangplank because its' wider. 2x lumber is more often Douglas Fir - a bit tougher than White Pine. 2x10 starts to get heavy fairly quickly though, especially in lengths long enough to be a useful gangplanks (16') You choose. I think you'll find the wood will outlast many of the plastics because of UV degradation.

·
Registered
995 Posts
I'd vote for CruisingDad's suggestion, though I wouldn't want to use 1x as a gangplank, and it would last about fifteen seconds as a fenderboard, since 1x boards are often softer woods like White Pine. A 2x8 makes more sense; 2x10 would be a good bit stronger and easier to use as a gangplank because its' wider. 2x lumber is more often Douglas Fir - a bit tougher than White Pine. 2x10 starts to get heavy fairly quickly though, especially in lengths long enough to be a useful gangplanks (16') You choose. I think you'll find the wood will outlast many of the plastics because of UV degradation.
OOPS!!!

You are exactly right. I misstyped. It was a 2x, not a 1x. THanks for catching that. That was a typo. I am correcting my original post.

Brian

·
Registered
995 Posts
By the way, our 2x lasted forever (well, until it was stolen... now who would steal a freaking gang plank???). Our gangpank was no where near 16 long. At best it was 8'. We used it to board via starboard beam, not stern. However, I currently back in and use a 2x8(or 10?)x10. It is heavy when wet.

The new pressure treated woods suck (nicest word I can use). THey are wrought with warping and not as resistant as the old. But I guess a butterfly in the amazons somewhere got to live another day.

My newest project (which I think will work) is to get a 1x10x8 (yes, a 1x). I am going to take a 2x4x8, rip it in half or thirds, then router a 3/4 inch groove in it. I will then glue and screw the routered edge to the board (effectively wrapping it). My hope is that this would make a much lighter board but with the strength and rigidity of a 2x (like a manufactured truss).

We will see if it works. My wife is all over me to get it done as hauling that 2x around is a bear. I will take pics and reprt back on it.

Brian

1 - 11 of 11 Posts