SailNet Community banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Closet Powerboater
3,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't expect this thread to get much traffic, because it doesn't involve safety gear or storms ;) but it's a topic worth discussing!

Which BBQ is the best? Any tips for the BBQ that are boat-specific?

My vote for best BBQ is the Dickenson Sea-B-Q. It has a bunch of nice features including:

1. An angled plate at the back that keeps your food from accidentally being lost overboard.

2. A grill that is made of wavy nearly solid metal instead of just welded thin rod. This gives good grill marks, makes cleaning easy (they are removable) and acts as a heat diffuser plate for even cooking.

3. The lid is nicely weighted and balanced and stays open when needed, and doesn't open suddenly, even when the boat is heeling and you forgot to secure the lid.

4. Feet included that don't get in the way of rail mounting so you can take is ashore.

Compared to the Magma and force 10 models I've used, this thing is awesome!
DickinsonMarine.com - Marine Propane Barbeques

My big problem that I hope y'all can help me with, is that mine is rail mounted (as are most) at the stern quarter. Invariably there is some evening breeze and being out there on the rail, the breeze saps a lot of heat from the BBQ.

Does anyone use a wind block or other measures to mitigate this issue?

MedSailor

·
Administrator
8,386 Posts
My prime problem is I have no dodger. Without a spray hood cockpit bbqs are no fun.

On the few times I grt mine out, its great. Mine burns heat beads, and takes about an hour to warm up. Hell! A hour??? Well, we are cruising and an hour to warm the bbq is a good time tonhave a beer! ;) its a hard job tending bbq!
When it gets the beads properly burning i put some flavoured bark and wood bits on. I dunno if you can taste it in the meat but it sure smells like a real camp fire!! :)

Get a dodger and get one that burns beads :D

·
Closet Powerboater
3,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My prime problem is I have no dodger. Without a spray hood cockpit bbqs are no fun.

On the few times I grt mine out, its great. Mine burns heat beads, and takes about an hour to warm up. Hell! A hour??? Well, we are cruising and an hour to warm the bbq is a good time tonhave a beer! ;) its a hard job tending bbq!
When it gets the beads properly burning i put some flavoured bark and wood bits on. I dunno if you can taste it in the meat but it sure smells like a real camp fire!! :)

Get a dodger and get one that burns beads :D
A beer? In an hour? Not to side-track my own thread, but you're at serious risk of your beer getting warm! Drink faster man!

MedSailor

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have a round 14" Magma marine kettle 2 and am happy with it ..my old one rusted away and I bought another.

Its mounted on the stern rail and i use a pillow to block the wind when its windy ..it heats up fast and never blew out .
but it is pretty expencive mine was $250 plus mount

·
Closet Powerboater
3,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Any tips for keeping the BBQ clean? An hour of cleaning after BBQing kinda defeats the purpose. Next time I think I'll spray Pam all over the place before beginning.
Can I watch? Oil can accumulate and Pam is flammable! :eek: Just a couple days ago I sprayed some pam on the grill grate before lighting. Apparently some of the pam got onto the walls/casing of the BBQ and my match dropped into ta drop of pam.

A few minutes later I came outside the house with my steak and my BBQ was fully involved in fire. All the sidewalls had enough grease from years of use (a newly inherited hand-me-down BBQ) that it started a grease fire on the walls of the BBQ. The grease trap below just added more fuel. The fact that it was under a low hanging wooden car-port roof added to the excitement.

I also recommend against using a wire brush to clean the BBQ. Those wire bits come out of the brush very easily and if they embed in your burger, bad things happen. I took care of a guy in the hospital who had a big abscess in his guts from a BBQ brush wire that hitched a ride in his burger.

MedSailor

·
Administrator
8,386 Posts
Any tips for keeping the BBQ clean? An hour of cleaning after BBQing kinda defeats the purpose.
Well........ Ummmmm..... I should state for the record that I am a solo sailor.... So I don't clean the BBQ. Just shove the lid back on and any residual heat cooks anything to a cinder and gets dumped overboard next day. Then left for a month or so to ferment till I next use it... The get it pretty hot... Then a quick scrape and on with the new meat! Ahhh the FLAVOUR!

:laugher

·
formerly 'BoatyardBoy'
534 Posts
When I go camping and am near water, I usually just tie a line to the grill grating and hang it in the water over night. Fish and other critters eat the crud off the metal and it's fairly clean. Plus since it sat in water all night the rest of the buildup that is on it is softer and comes off easier if you want to further clean it off.

As far as grills, I have used a small round magma and it was nice but found wind would cause irregular heating (especially for cooking fresh snapper offshore) and would flare up. So definitely needed a windblock of some sort. I think I would rather the rectangular grill as opposed to the round ones. I find you can organize better that way.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

·
no longer reading SailNet
2,309 Posts
I had a Sea-B-Q on the last boat and the new one came with a Magma. I sold the Sea-B-Q with the old boat and kept the Magma and often wish I had done the opposite.

Things that I liked about the Sea-B-Q:
* More even heat, much larger burner
* You can take it off of the boat and use it on shore. That's nice if you are using a state park dock and have access to a nice picnic table.
* Easier to light with a lighter, there is a nice access hole in the side for that
* Seemed to have less problems with corrosion
* Regulator was an integral part of it instead of something easily lost

The Magma has a more stable mount, it took me a while to get the Sea-B-Q to hold in place well. The Magma is also easier to store, it's smaller and fits more easily into the lazarette.

·
Registered
25,130 Posts
Our current boat came with an older Force 10 log or barrel style BBQ. It looks like a cylinder that opens across the long edge. It's very light and works well, although, I nearly tossed it when we bought the boat, thinking it was too small. The biggest advantage is that it mounts on a single post and can be swiveled so the back of the BBQ faces the wind, which then flows evenly around the cylinder. Pretty ingenious, actually.

I used to only use the disposable tanks, but bought a long hose to the 20lb house tanks last year. Ironically, it does not get as hot with the house tanks. Also, the grating is getting worn and I wouldn't mind a slightly larger unit. I see the Dickinson has a quick release mount, which is a must-have for me. I will not leave it on the rail while sailing. It would disturb where I sit at the helm and be in the way when docking. Plus, I think its unattractive.

Does the Dickinson mount allow you to angle the BBQ so the back faces the wind?

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have the Magma Kettle 2. It's small and fits on the rail just fine and cooks somewhat evenly. It dosent blow out even in a stiff wind, but the windier it is, the more prone to flareups and uneven cooking it becomes. Anything with any fat or drippings cause it to flare up badly. I have the shore stand so I can remove it and use it ashore if I so desire. It's gas...and I don't have propane onboard so I use the small "grenade" bottles.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
+1 on the Sea-B-Q!! Great BBQ and not a spot of rust after 2 years of very heavy use on the boat and at home. The stainless steel burner has a limited life though (because of the high heat it's subjected to) and I just changed mine after the old one started to rust and crumble a bit. I would recommend buying a spare for cruising.

Minne, the quick release mount is very well designed and can be mounted on just about any kind of rail (horizontal, vertical and even angled bar), but it doesn't allow the BBQ to be swiveled on the mount. I haven't found this to be a problem as the Sea-B-Q is just about immune to wind. I takes a gale to blow out the flame in my experience.

·
Administrator
5,924 Posts
I still use the smallest Magma that I bought 5 years ago for $5 at our sail club's periodic auction for people to get rid of stuff. Worked just fine until I started buying chops from the local farm and they are too big to cook more than one at a time. Fortunately, one feeds both of us.

Might upgrade soon so I don't have to feed guests in shifts.

·
Bombay Explorer 44
3,619 Posts
I have the small Magma and burn wood charcoal when I can get it.

It does the job but does not get hot enough to satisfy visiting BBQ experts.

Fine size for dinner for two. Mine is 6 years old and still polishes up nicely.

·
Registered
25,130 Posts
.......Minne, the quick release mount is very well designed and can be mounted on just about any kind of rail (horizontal, vertical and even angled bar), but it doesn't allow the BBQ to be swiveled on the mount. I haven't found this to be a problem as the Sea-B-Q is just about immune to wind. I takes a gale to blow out the flame in my experience.
Thanks for the feedback. I may go for the larger grill. Does the top flange on the mount project inside or outside the rail? Inside would be a problem, as it would interfere with me leaning against the rail, while sailing.

Have you used the tray they make for the front? That looks like a great accessory!! I never have anywhere to put anything down.

·
Closet Powerboater
3,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Minne,

Here is a rail mount for the dickenson that might work well. If you were to turn the block part of it 90deg, and didn't have it clamped on bar-tight, it looks like you could swivel it around the vertical stanchion perhaps. Alternately, you may be able to re-use your existing mount with some creativity. I re-used an existing rail mount for my new Sea-B-Que by drilling some holes in the drip tray. I epoxied the bolts in place protruding through the bottom of the drip tray so that there would be less bits to go overboard. Now it is only 4 wingnuts on the bottom that need to be disconnected to remove the bbq. You can see in the picture below how the bolts connect to the drip tray (which is solid).

BBQ mount

If you have the flimsy force 10 barrel BBQ then you NEED to upgrade to this puppy. I used to have the force 10 barrel one and this one is SO MUCH BETTER.

A question about heat. You plumbed it to your tank? Did you do it after the low pressure regulator? I used a T fitting before the high pressure regulator and a simple brass fitting that allows connection where a green bottle is supposed to go. No loss of heat this way, but if you connect it after the regulator you really do loose a lot of heat.

MedSailor

PS Anybody figured out a good wind block solution????

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
"I will not leave it on the rail while sailing. It would disturb where I sit at the helm and be in the way when docking. Plus, I think its unattractive. "

I thought I was the only one who put my grill away while sailing! Here's a tip, if that's your plan, here's the proper order of events:

1. Drop the hook.
2. Hang the grill.
3. Open adult beverage.

Whatever you do, don't reverse 2 and 3. Don't ask how I know:)

·
Registered
6,689 Posts
I use a 14-inch kettle, rail mounted at the stern, never had it blow out - EVER! I used it nearly every day while sailing to the Florida Keys down the ICW and after 5 years of constant usage, it finally rusted away. My wife replaced it with an identical one she purchased for me as a Christmas present from Jamestown Distributors for $125 and free shipping. I can only do a half dozen burgers at a time, though, so my guests may have to be patient.

Gary :cool:

1 - 20 of 53 Posts