SailNet Community banner
1 - 20 of 127 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Can anyone recommend boat manufacturers to stick with if wanting to round the globe in the Caribbean portion? Typically boats that can handle rough seas in case would be best I suppose.

So far I read bad things about Hunter and Morgan.

Beanteanu
Jeanneau
Catalina so far are my top 3 picks, but the first 2 are more difficult to find here in the US.

Are there other brands that are more abundant/easy to grab that are solid built?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Northoceanbeach, I am confused by your reply. Many have used those top 3 brands I have listed to round the globe with no problems.

What do you recommend instead? I am new to sailing so I would love to hear your advice.

·
Registered
347 Posts
What he means is that it all depends. It depends on the kind of sailor you are. You could probably sail anywhere on any boat (and as you point out, people have), but what you do with it and in what kind of weather/sea state is all up to you. Most people consider those boats you've listed as light/mid-duty boats, more suitable for coastal or inland sailing. Not for crossing oceans. There are many threads here on sailnet, which a Google search would probably render more fruitful, even for sailnet discussions on the matter. There is a lot more to circling the globe (even in the tropics) than just the brand of boat. If you want a more exhaustive list of boat brands, try this page here: Mahina Expedition - Selecting A Boat for Offshore Cruising Down near the bottom is the list, but it still boils down to how you prepare yourself and the boat than just about any other factor.

·
Registered
28 Posts
The fact that many people have done it doesn't mean they are the best tools for the job. People generally make choices based on the limitations at hand and not necessarily on what would be ideal if they had all their druthers. Also, the manufacturer of the boat might often be secondary to the year, model, and certainly maintenance and preparation. But all other things being equal, if you're intentionally headed toward probable rough seas and inclement weather, you would ideally be gravitating toward moderate to heavy displacement boats with heavily built hulls and proven rigging and systems. For many people, that would eliminate all Catalinas and most Bennys and Jeauneaus. But some are willing to accept less margin of safety in construction and design. Everybodys' formulas for risk management are different.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Not nice!

I am sure there are boats that are like Fords and total garbage with too many issues and then there are boats that are like Toyotas/Hondas.

That is all I am looking for. Good reliable tough brands for ocean sailing. On the other hand, I don't appreciate all the mockery.

If you can't help keep your comments to yourself.

Im out, pass some along please;)

next question:

"whats the best oil for my engine?" ajajajajajajaja:D:D:D:D

·
That Drunk Guy
258 Posts
Beanteanu
Jeanneau
Catalina so far are my top 3 picks, but the first 2 are more difficult to find here in the US.

Are there other brands that are more abundant/easy to grab that are solid built?
I was going to say "ALL Others", but there are a few others that are a worse choice. Someone posted the list from The Mahina guy, also check Atom Voyages list here... Atom Voyages - Good Old Boats List

Three boats that you will not find on either list are Beneteaus, Jeanneaus, and Catalinas.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Im out, pass some along please;)

next question:

"whats the best oil for my engine?" ajajajajajajaja:D:D:D:D
No, no, no, no. First we have to talk about keels. Then gas vs diesel. Then the oil. Haven't you been down this thread before?

Sorry for the humor, such as it is, but this is a well worn path and a little searching around will reveal why the humorous comments. You can probably get some very good advice here if, before asking the question provide us with more information about you, your experience and your sailing plans. Brands mean almost nothing compared to specific models/designs/years of production/current conditions/etc.
John

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
Not nice!

I am sure there are boats that are like Fords and total garbage with too many issues and then there are boats that are like Toyotas/Hondas.

That is all I am looking for. Good reliable tough brands for ocean sailing. On the other hand, I don't appreciate all the mockery.

If you can't help keep your comments to yourself.
woooooooooooooooooooooaaaaaaaaaaa

sorry if you took it the wrong way man...it was in regards to threads that bring out the popcorn viewers not you.

the best threads to get people riled up are as follows, and Im sure Im missing some

if you read a little on here you will see

1. taking small children offshore sailing
2. whats the best boat, or variation thereof
3. what gear must I have for cruising
4. chartplotter or not
5. modern fin keel versus full keel
6. diesel versus gas, and now electric inboard or not(thanks for the reminder ccriders)
7. ANCHOR THREAD

and many others...

ill correct my post...

sorry

Reactions: Sam

·
Banned
141 Posts
I take it you are into more modern type boats ? I'm interested to know what size a boat you are looking for , and how much (roughly) you are looking to spend on it . Tank capacity, water /fuel and storage are things you should look for too . Pretty much any boat can be set up for single handing ,if that's your thing . I would also suggest self steering gear (wind vane ) plus electric AP. Solar panels/ windjenny, water maker, radar, chart ploter . The list for everything is long.
If by some chance you would be interested in what I call older more traditional designs look at Pacific Seacraft, Baba , Hans Christian , Bristol Channel Cutter , Union Polaris , Lord Nelson , Westsail . I left a lot of these types out but this a good start . Good luck !

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
in an effort to help, I feel bad, really I didnt mean to offend oops...

google up:
20 affordeable sailboats to take you around the world or anywhere cant remember
20 best cruisers of all time list

john vigors seaworthy offshore sailboat is a good read too

if modern yes there are many new boats that have gone around, same for old design boats...

endless possibilities

Reactions: solarwindsailor
1 - 20 of 127 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.