SailNet Community banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm posting again to get some more excellent advice. It's kind of a two part question.
Is there a site that one can use to run a comparison between two boats? I'm looking at a Cal25 and a Mac25. Both boats are from the 70's and they are in comparable shape.
Does anyone have cons about one or both of the boats? The pros for these boats are pretty easy to find, the cons, well not so much :)

·
Big Chicken Baby
410 Posts
As for cons, I can't give you brand specific cons as I haven't spent any time on either boat. I will say that an older boat, especially pre 1990 will require a lot more care and feeding than a newer boat.

To me, this isn't necessarily a con but it is a reminder that when buying an older boat, it is important that you really love the boat. An older boat will require more money than you can ever hope to recoop. If you love the bot and feel that the money is well spent in preserving a bit of the past, then it will be money you will feel better about parting with.

·
Telstar 28
992 Posts
They're probably both fairly decent boats. I've sailed on the Cal 25 quite a bit... and its a nice boat for a leadmine. :) I've worked on a MacGregor 25 a bit.. but not sailed on one in years.

Which one do you like better... that's pretty much the deciding factor, as you can see in my signature. :)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mimsy That is a great tool. I'll be sure to keep my comparisons under control.
Sailingdog: leadmine eh, I guess that would explain the 4000 lbs displacement :) It would also explain the motion rating in Mimsy's tool, pretty smooth when compared to a Mac25.

·
Telstar 28
992 Posts
Rlongfield-

If you want to see some video of a Cal 25 under sail...here's some I took of my friend's boat. BTW, we had her out one day last year under full genny and main in about 20 knots of wind and had her up to about 9 knots on the GPS. My friend's wife was down in the cabin and yelling something about staying down below until we started sailing like sane people. :)

The first boat you see is my Telstar 28 trimaran, and we're under genny alone... too lazy to raise the main, mainly because I forgot the battens... and didn't want to raise it without them. The Cal 25 is a very pretty boat... and a lot of fun to sail.

·
Telstar 28
992 Posts
Glad to help...

·
Registered
652 Posts
Hey Wardy, thanks for the tip, unfortunately the wallet and the admiral do not approve of a new boat.
Buy a good-condition older boat, after you've sailed a few years, you're going to want to replace it anyway. Even then, and although there are some older boats is terrible condition,I like the older boats much better than the new plastic boats. When I see brand new boats at the boat shows, I think of a Clorex bottle on it's side with a stick in the top.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I like the older boats too. Not just because of the budget, I like to fix things up and minor fixes on an older boat equals a good return, minor fixes on a new boat equals poor workmanship. As an added bonus an older boat is great recycling and will hopefully teach my kids as they age that older things still have value :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.